Chapter 32 - A Bloody Lesson

"Do we have to leave already?" you whine, holding Herkja tightly in an embrace.

"Yes, pretty one. You must go. You have learned all that you need for now," she says, patting your back.

"Besides, if my mother returns to Fensalir and we are not there I fear the repercussions," Loki says.

"Don't tell me you're scared of your mother," you say with a laugh, pulling away from Herkja and glancing over at Loki.

"Terrified, darling," Loki says, placing a kiss to your temple.

Standing in front of Herkja's home, you glance around the small little shanty town one final time. You had grown quite fond of its strange inhabitants. 

"You know...we could use your help, Her," you say. "Amora won't be easy to take down."

"And I will lend what support I can, little læknir. But no one at the palace aside from you, Loki and the Crown Prince are aware that my powers have been unbound. I cannot risk being found out."

You nod your head in understanding. You're about to respond when suddenly, a commotion from down the street catches your attention. 

You, Loki, and Herkja all turn to see the various residents of the small, concealed village scatter, hiding within their small structures or disappearing all together. But you don't see anything that would cause such a reaction. 

The three of your peer into the treeline in the distance, a thick, uncomfortable and unnatural silence falling over the tiny shanty town. 

Finally, from the tree line in the distance step dozens of tall, pale figures. 

Eerie and menacing, dressed in shining silver armor with arms longer than their legs, they cause a shiver to run up your spine. Shoulders slightly hunched with long, pale faces, they simply stand at the edges of the brush, staring into the vast nothingness of the clearing.

They shouldn't be able to see you. Yet something tells you that they can as they seem to peer right into you.

"What are those things?" you whisper.

"Loki, take her inside," Herkja commands. 

"What? W-why?" you ask nervously.

But Loki obeys without question grabbing your hand and pulling you inside Herkja's home, slamming the door behind you and securing it with his seidr.

"Loki, what's going on?" you ask.

"Quiet, love," he whispers. 

Your jaw snaps shut, and your heart begins to pound.