Struggles

***Trigger Warning - Financial Problems & Mentions of Murder + Puke***

Saturday

Peter's POV

"What do you mean she hasn't shown up for work? I know she has. Steven drove her every day-" I stopped and realized what this could mean. The possibilities were endless, now knowing Steven's agenda. I shuddered at the thought.

"Hon, I'm here at the front desk almost every day. I have not seen her in over a month, maybe even two. In fact, I heard that she quit." This makes no sense.

"Hold on, how long has she been gone?" I panicked, not wanting her to call the police just for them to send me to some sketchy foster home. There is no way that I'm ever going there.

"Uhh not long," I set the phone down and I opened and closed my apartment door. I tried making my best impression of May, but it was really just me speaking in a high-pitched voice. "Hey, Peter, I'm ho-ome!" I said in a nasally, sing-song tone.

I ran back to the phone that was across the room, "Oh!-" I was still speaking in a high-pitched voice, so I cleared my throat, "Oh, she's home now. Thanks for all your help, bye!" I babbled, hurriedly.

"Wait-" I quickly ended the call before she could say anything else. I let out a sigh of relief.

***T/W***

I looked around and noticed some mail on the kitchen counter.

One said eviction notice.

Oh no

Time Skip

Friday

It's been a few weeks since May had gone missing, and I now have two jobs. One working as a science tutor every day before school starts, and the other is a server at this fancy restaurant near Stark Towers, so I can go there straight from my internship. They pay well, and since my apartment is cheaper, it's almost enough to get by. However, I found some money that May had stashed away in her room, probably for alcohol and other things, and May would kill me if she knew I was using it to pay bills, but I didn't think there was any hope of her return at this point.

I've been having to leave my internship earlier than usual, so I can get to my job in time. I work late nights and early mornings, so I barely have time to do homework, let alone sleep. My grades aren't dropping too low, but they're definitely not all high As anymore. Mr. Watson even asked to see me after class.

"Hey, Peter, I've noticed your sleepless appearance and your dropping grades. You haven't been turning things in, you don't do well on the material that I know you understand better than any other student in this class, so please tell me what's going on. What can I do to help you?" He expressed his concern.

Honestly, I was stunned. I didn't think my teachers cared that much. I expected a lecture on how disappointed he was in me for doing so poorly compared to my grades before. I expected him to yell at me for being lazy in my work, but he's actually genuinely concerned about me.

"Uh well, I had to get two jobs in order to help me and my aunt, as we have been struggling financially, and it's taking up my time, so I can't exactly focus on my studies," I truthfully explained for the most part.

"Oh, Peter I had no idea. A kid your age shouldn't have to worry about problems like that. I'm sorry. Here, if you ever need anything at all, let me know, alright?" He smiled a sad, sympathetic smile.