2. In The Mountains

"I'm sorry, but what?" I asked my friend, who offered a strained smile.

"I can ask someone else?" She perked a perfect brow. I knew if I said no, she would do just that and it wouldn't bother her, but this was Alexei we were talking about. I was sure she knew I used to look at Alexei with love hearts basically popping out of my eyes but that was before I realised what a complete pompous ass he could be.

I wasn't going to repeat that same mistake ever again.

"No, it's okay." I replied, despite inner Pen shaking her head furiously with wide eyes.

"I'll let Jude know." Aella squeezed me into an embrace before she ambled off to deal with the other E.S Enforcers.

Once she was out of sight, I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "This can't be happening."

There were more sightings of those red-eyed changelings in the Mountains, beyond Pack grounds. Jude had been planning to go with Alexei and Jamison to investigate further but Jude was suddenly caught up into an important meeting with the Pack healer.

Aella explained that the trip needed to still go forward but she had no one to fill in Jude's empty spot just yet.

Like a fool, I accepted.

"Why the long face?" Kian approached me, smirking.

I'd spotted him earlier, speaking to Solkolov.

Well, he was nodding while Solkolov spoke in hushed tones.

Solkolov was one of the seven men Jude had in his inner circle.

It never failed to amaze me how Kian quickly had slipped into the role of an E.S Enforcer. Once he donned the legendary black skins of the Enforcers, he seemed to take on another kind of shine and confidence. He had just recently cut his hair, so the jet-black locks were missing, replaced with hair that was shorn closer to his head. A few of the females in the ranks showed interest but Kian pretended as if the female population didn't exist.

Females?

Pfft, don't ask Kian. He didn't know.

The only pussy he played with was Misty, who could meow her way into Kian's good graces- the absolute slut.

"You still haven't told me why you're scowling at me like that."

"It's your face." I dead panned.

"Hmmm, I've been told on a few occasions that my face could make a girl com-"

"-and we are done here." I snorted, rolling my eyes.

On top of the bold confidence, Kian had somehow become more talkative. I much preferred the time when he had been quieter but then again, quiet people always spooked me.

They were dangerous, the whole lot of them.

Before I could leave, Kian placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. His eyes were troubled as he studied my expression I fought to keep carefully blank. "You let me know if you need anything. I mean it Pen." He said softly, with meaning.

I was going to cry. Big, ugly tears of gratitude. I shoved the tumultuous emotions in a box and proffered a smile that hopefully reached my eyes. "Thanks. I'll let you know."

"Good." He replied.

When noon arrived, I made my way back to the Pack house, per Aella's instructions. I spotted both men standing on the porch, decked out in their combat gear. They paused mid-conversation, spotting me in the distance. They ceased speaking and descended the short flight of stairs to meet me half-way.