Chapter 4

Lia

The front of the school looked unfamiliar. Just like everything else.

I was in the parking lot of what was supposed to have been my daily sight, standing there, absorbing every detail of my surroundings. I went there almost every day and yet, like my home, I forgot everything about it. It frustrated me deep down. How could I forget things that were so significant in my life? People. Places. Who I was. What I liked.

The memories of it got lock into the deep end of my brain. Leaving me to wonder what it could have been like.

I stand there, awkwardly looking around while people were staring at me, some pointed at me, whispering to their friends something that was probably addressed toward me. It made me uncomfortable but that didn't seem to bother Chaeryeong and Ningning who were by my side brightly smiling at me, gesturing for me to go inside the school. The girls had mentioned multiple times by now that their little group was really popular around school but I never thought it was that much. I kind of assumed they were a little bit exaggerating but looking around I now regretted my fast judgment. Everyone was staring, some bear big smiles as I walked by, some had looks that could just kill. Maybe I was right about the bitch side. Damn it.

I was so nervous, my palms were sweating. I had noticed that when I was stressed I would rub my thumb against my index finger and I was doing that right now. I tried to stop instead focusing on walking toward the entrance as normally as I could so my limp wouldn't show too much, I didn't want to attract the attention even more but it was no use. I miserably failed.

Various people greeted me; some teachers, some students. Telling me one name after the other. The classes we had together or the personal connection we used to have but after a while all these new pieces of information mixed in my head. I already couldn't remember.

Rushing me away from the tumult, Ningning showed me my locker, the password was pretty simple: 6543. It had nothing inside, Ningning had brought everything home once I was out of the hospital for me to catch up on the classes.

Every day was a new experience, today included.

I put some of my books in my locker and looked around to see if people were still looking at me. There were some occasional looks but everyone was back getting busy with their daily lives, it felt a bit freeing like a weight had been removed inside my body. How could have I bare being the center of attention before? Was I that different from what I felt like now?

As I was about to put my attention back to my locker my eyes met others staring right back at me. Shining orbs. The cat eyed girl behind the glasses quickly averted her gaze though, closing her locker and walked away.

That was...odd. Plenty of people had stared at me but there was something different about that one. I couldn't pinpoint what. I couldn't explain it. Her eyes looked at me differently.

Maybe I knew her before? Maybe she was a friend?

I closed my own locker, taking a big breath. Time for class.

-

Yeji

She was here. She looked at me and...nothing. She didn't recognize me.

I began to slightly panic.

OK, I was in full panic mode.

Tears began to form in my eyes.

During the past two months, I tried to gather as much information as I could. It was not easy since no one talked to me but I'll be damned if I didn't try.