Chapter 7

Lia

"We knew each other before, didn't we?"

Her jaw clenched as her eyes fell on the ground. She sighed before looking at me with tearful eyes.

"Yes, we did," She whispered, waiting nervously for my reaction.

I was right.

But even though I had my doubts before, her confirmation set my entire body on fire. I could feel my heartbeat fastened and the pulsations reaching my temples. It felt so good. Finally finding a new missing piece of my life.

And yet another question popped into my head.

"My friends didn't know, did they?"

That made her chuckle. The cute sound made the corner of my lips slightly rise.

" If they did, they would have murdered me on the spot and locked you up to brainwash you,"

" OK, Class. Today we're going to continue where we left off yesterday," yelled the teacher interrupting our conversation, startling me in the process.

"Can we talk later?" I whispered to her, once I regained my composure.

I had to know. I needed to know. I had so many questions and it was always 'Why?'or 'How?'.

She nodded " Sure," She gave me a soft reassuring smile but not the same one she had used before. This time it was...brighter. Lighter. She seemed happier, something in her eyes I had yet to see. Even her features were a bit different. Less tensed than earlier.

Happiness looked good on her.

Wait...what?

What am I thinking?

-

When the bell rang, we both left as fast as we could. We had five minutes in between classes and I needed as much explanation as I could get. I probably had a lot to catch up on.

Unfortunately, once we reached the hallway the girls were waiting for me at the other end of it.

Yeji immediately flipped around in panic.

"Do you still have the same phone number as before?" she whispered, faking looking through her backpack.

"Yes," I answered without moving my lips too much because the girls were watching.

" Good, I'll call you in the evening,"

With that, she walked behind me toward the other end of the hallway.

Ningning was excitingly waving at me from afar as the rest of the girls looked around like they were about to murder anyone that dared to look toward their direction. How was Ningning even friend with them? Us? She was so nice and innocent compared to the rest of us. I was sure she never did anything bad in her life. That girl was like a puppy sometimes.

That thought alone made me laugh. I waved back, walking toward them but my mind was already busy playing the different scenarios of what Yeji could possibly reveal to me.

-
It was now 7 P.M and Yeji still hadn't called. I passed the entire day wondering about what she would tell me. I couldn't focus on anything else the entire day, so much that people thought I had another headache.

So far, I only knew we were friends, that was it. But were we occasional friends, greeting each other and having small talk or were we close friends?

Earlier, Yeji made it sound like we were close friends. It made me think of what Nurse Rosie had said. That Yeji came crying at the hospital after my accident. That fact alone made me believe we were close friends.