Chapter 11

"H...Hey mom,"

"Lia, where in the hell are you? We're searching for you everywhere,"

I looked at Yeji and I knew she could hear what my mother said when I saw her expression changed at least 3 times in a matter of seconds until she finally became really pale.

" I...I went on a w...walk," Yeji sighed in relief at my answer and I did the same, amazed by my ability to find a decent excuse on the spot.

" A walk?"  My mom, however, sounded less pleased by my answer " With the state of your leg?"

Ah shit, how could I forget about that? The excuse suddenly felt a bit ridiculous. I needed a save. Quick, Lia, think.

" I sa...sat on a bench for so...some time," Seemed good enough.

"Lia, you should have told me or your friends, someone should be with you ,"

Oh, not that again. I wasn't a baby I could be left alone sometimes. Since I've been out the coma I was never alone, not even in my room; everyone kept checking on me and I knew they were worried but it was too much. I couldn't be left alone in my own thoughts. Maybe that walk wasn't a terrible excuse after all. I terribly needed time for myself.

Besides, mom, someone was with me it's just that you wouldn't like who it is. I glanced at the girl in question who was nervously shaking her leg up and down.

"I wan...wanted to be alone, Mo...mom. I nee...needed to think,"

" Well, next time tell us at least...Where are you? I'm coming to get you,"

"No," I shouted, startling Yeji who almost fell from her chair. If she saw me with Yeji it was over. No more free time for me. Also, how would I even begin to explain properly my relationship with Yeji.

"Why not?"  My mom started to sound angry. Shit, nothing good could come out from that.

" I wi...will come ba...back alone. I will be th...there in fif...fifteen minutes...please,"  I tried my best to plead my case and I heard her sigh on the other end.

"15 minutes after that I'll search you myself and you better believe we're going to talk about this once you're home, understand?"

"OK mom ,"

My head started to hurt. Great, like I wasn't in enough pain already.

" Good. 15 minutes, Lia,"

With that, she hung up making me release the breath I was holding.

"Fuck," Yeji let out, making me look up. She had gotten up from her chair and was desperately pacing the room.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck,"

I should be the one to freak out and yet I was the calmest one in this room even if what just happened definitely left me far from calm.

"Yaji, calm down ,"

She stopped in her tracks, taking a deep breath.

"Sorry," she said in embarrassment, passing her hand through her hair.

My hand grazed on my watch, reminding me that time kept ticking. I got up rather quickly assessing the support of my leg. It was better but still hurt like a bitch.

" We need to go down,"

" Yeah...yeah,"

She closed the window and placed back the chairs near the table; as she got near me she extended me her hand. I frowned.

" Let me help you go down,"  she murmured.

She was so soft, she was like....a giant teddy bear. I kept wondering how could anyone hate her. It's just that they never bothered to get to know her, they just stopped at the superficial and judged her for that, even her own family. That drove me insane to think I did the same.