FORTY-FIVE

Almost a week had passed since my birthday

My birthday. Hell.

It was hard to think about my birthday without getting uncomfortable. Like tight-pants-at-work kind of uncomfortable. Madie...god. Even from the other side of the phone, her heat burned through me.

And now that we'd started down the phone sex path—okay, maybe started was an understatement—I was finding it hard to stop. Back it up. Be appropriate.

I had no willpower left. The number of dirty texts I'd sent Madie this morning alone probably meant she had a permanent blush on her face today.

Too bad I couldn't see it.

There was something wrong with me. There had to be. Because even though I was apart from Madie, and I hadn't heard back from Luke, and I had no idea what to do about any of it, for once I didn't feel worthless and lost.

Things definitely weren't great on my end. But they were alright.

I was supposed to be stuffing envelopes with flyers for an upcoming auction to support the Directions club when Collins caught me with Reese again.

Immediately, I popped up from my chair when she emerged from her office, and Reese snickered behind me.

Little shit.

Collins motioned for me to join her in her office.

"Bren, what are you doing?"

I slouched into the chair by her desk. "Just talking to—"

"No, I mean, what are you doing?"

"What am I doing?"

"With your life?"

"That's a pretty hefty question for 3 o'clock on a Tuesday. You're gonna have to get a few beers in me before—"

"I'm being serious, Bren."

I sighed and leaned back in the office chair, which squeaked in protest.

"Fuck, Collins. I don't know what I'm doing with my life. Would I be here if I knew what I was doing with my life?"

"Well, you were in college. What was your major?"

"I was only in college for a hot second, and I was undecided."

"Well, what were you thinking about majoring in?"

Rolling my eyes at her, I crossed my arms tight over my chest. "I didn't know. That's why I was undecided."

Why the fuck was she pressing this? It was pissing me off. Pretty positive Collins knew that, too. But she didn't back off.

"When you close your eyes, what do you imagine your future like?"