Chapter 21: Nightmare

As they explored the floor, they noticed that the destruction was much greater on this floor. In addition, they noticed a lot of burn marks and some slash marks that had some melting around the edges of the gashes. Then they started to come across the skeletons.

They were alien things, things that made no biological sense. Some had multiple monstrous heads, appendages, giant scythe-like claw hands, or hands whose bones were as sharp as knives. They weren't human and certainly resembled no Nomu they had ever encountered. Even Aria in her bestial form looked nothing like the skeletons. One thing they all had in common though, was that the skeletons were all in pieces and bore signs of charring at the cut areas.

Ochako was not one prone to fear, not anymore anyway, but deep in her stomach, she felt a pit starting to form. The more alien the skeletons they found, the more her sense of anxiousness and tension rose. Every hair on her body was on end and she was sure that the Hunter harbored similar tension. Eventually, they came to a doorway whose door had been smashed in. They entered and they saw that they were in some kind of operating room. Dusty surgical equipment littered the floor and dried blood was all over the table and floor around it. There was a lit-up flat light panel with ancient x-rays still displayed. The light was dim and the panel blood-spattered so they couldn't make out what was displayed, though it looked like it could be a skull.

The table itself was also interesting, while horrible to look at the set-up was extensive. A series of machinery and tools were positioned above the table and linked to a central housing unit, likely used for more advanced and delicate procedures. It actually reminded Ochako of the operating rooms she had been in and out of multiple times during Project Angel. She shivered looking at it and she felt phantom pain pulse along across the multitude of scars on her back. She turned away and avoided looking at it if at all possible.

The Hunter meanwhile looked around and saw a manila folder lying on the ground in a corner, the papers scattered about. He went over and picked a few up and started reading. Ochako did the same, and she picked up the folder itself and saw that the first page of the report was still inside.

Project Nightmare

The following report is to be sent to Doctor Garaki and Chisaki and details current progress towards achieving the desired goals of Project Nightmare.

The rest of the page was illegible due to some blood having soaked through the top of the folder, though the next page was much clearer. 

Progress towards achieving the control of Nightmare proceeds well, currently, we have augmented the mental faculties of the subject, and thanks to Rewind we are able to reverse any mistakes quickly. The subject is completely docile while awake, and will carry out most orders silently. Of course, this means little if we cannot communicate with the subject while asleep. 

Progress towards sleep-based communication is progressing poorly, so far we have found no way to communicate nor to influence nightmares directly on our end. We do suspect, however, that an individual with a quirk able to tap into the mind of the subject directly. A passive or active method of communication may be our only means of control over the subject. We, therefore, recommend resources be directed towards acquiring someone with these abilities in order for project completion.

The rest was fairly illegible and she tossed the folder to the ground.