The man and God

The man was on his way home from work, when unexpectedly, he died. He was in a car accident. Everything happened so fast but slow enough for the man to realize what was happening. I'm going to die, he thought. In that moment, a blinding light engulfed him. To others it was the car light but to him it was the door to someplace... he just didn't know where. 

The man had an average job, average looks, an average life, overall he was an average human being. 

He was fortunate enough to be born into a loving home. 

It was- like the man- an average family with loving parents and annoying siblings. He went to school, made friends, graduated college (had a few partners over the years but ended up single until his death), and went to work in a good company. The man walked through life like any other human being, experiencing all the joy and stress that came with it. 

The man opened his eyes and found himself in a place that seems to stretch for eternity. The place was a void of nothingness but it was very bright. 

In that voided scene he saw a figure standing in front of him. 

"Who are you?" The man questioned the mysterious figure in front of him. 

The unknown figure looked like a man. Or maybe even a woman. But Just like him, it was average looking. The figure exuded an elegant and authoritative aura unlike the man.

"I have many names. Creator, Lord,  Holy Spirit, or as what most human know me as, God. But I like to think that I'm just me," the mysterious figure-god, smiled gently.

"What... what happened?" The man asked again as he tried to piece everything together. "Did I... did I die?"

"Yup. Oh, but don't worry, everyone dies. It's the nature of life. It was inevitable," god said to the man, trying to reassure him.

Silence.

"My family- Is my family okay?"

God chuckled, "what a lovely soul. If it's any consolation, although they may be grieving as of the moment, they're fine." 

It broke into a huge grin as it continued, "I'm pretty sure you've known this your whole life but your family loves you very much."

"Oh."

He knows that he was loved, but why couldn't he remember how it felt, being embraced in a loving family? Why couldn't he feel the sadness of leaving his loved ones behind? Is sadness not the natural reaction? Why couldn't he feel it?

The man looked down to be met with the ground, his legs and feet seemed to disappear. Or did he not have legs in the first place. He couldn't remember. His memories as a human being was slowly fading. All he could see was the ground. 

"Come walk with me." 

The man tilted his head but before he could ask anything, god has already started walking. The man hurridely caught up to him.

"Where are we going?" The man asked as they walked in rythm, side by side.

"Hmm," It didn't answer for a while. "Somewhere but nowhere in particular."

"Nowhere? Am I not going to heaven or hell? Or am I going to Limbo? Purgatory?"

"Nope. You're going back." 

"Am I not dead already?"

God heaved a hearty laugh, "You are, silly. Did you not hear?"

"Why am I dead when I'm supposed to go back? Will you return me? It's that I'm going to be someone but not be them."