Alternative Ending: 4

The same as the original story until Vormir :) I know I said I was going to do 3 but I couldn't stop writing. 

''What you seek lies in front of you... as does what you fear.''

''The stone is down there,'' Natasha muttered to the brunette next to her, both of them peeking over the edge. It reached stories high, higher than any building in New York or outside of that. Terrifying, that's what it was, Katya's nausea settling in.

''For two of you.'' Red Skull said mysteriously. It had Katya's stomach turn around. She knew there would be a catch. ''For the other... In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul, for a soul.''

''What?'' Katya choked out, spinning around, but no more words came from the Red Skull. He simply floated above the ground and waited.

In an automatic response, she turned to Natasha, only to find her already looking at her. Katya shook her head, she couldn't handle this. They needed to jump off the cliff, sacrifice someone. One soul for those of billions. No question if they were going to do it, but more who it would be. 

The world spun. She needed to sit down. Not, like Natasha, with her back to the cliff, but staring out over it. The view was beautiful and actually made her think of Sokovia a lot. On top of the world. She listened to Natasha and Clint talking, Clint's footsteps on the uneven ground as he paced.

Katya knew exactly what was going on in their heads, because it was in hers. They decided to jump too. She didn't need to be a clairvoyant to know that. Because they all loved the people on this rock more than their own lives. 

''Thanos left here with the stone without his daughter. It's not a coincidence,'' Natasha's voice was distant, her mind somewhere else entirely. She was right though, they should have figured this out earlier. Maybe they could have come up with another plan beforehand. But it was too late now.

''Whatever it takes,'' she continued, still muttering to herself. 

''Whatever it takes,'' Clint repeated. Katya didn't like how they said it. The finality of it all, the acceptance. She ripped her eyes away from the cliff and wandered back to her team. Natasha had stood up and gripped Clint's hands, looking into his eyes.

That broke when Katya joined them and Natasha's eyes flickered between her and her best friend. ''If we don't get that Stone, billions of people stay dead.'' She said it like she was hyping herself up, which made Katya more afraid.

Clint sighed. ''Then I guess we all know who it's gotta be.'' He might have been gone for five years, but it immediately felt familiar with these two women in front of him. To him, they belonged in his family, the aunts of their kids. 

''I guess we do,'' Katya nodded, taking in the faces of her wife and best friend. She knew they were planning the same thing, but nobody wanted to word that yet.

Clint looked from Natasha to Katya and back. ''I'm starting to think– we mean different people here.''

A tense silence fell, one where everyone waited for someone to do or say something. Because they knew what this would end in: a fight. And for some reason, Katya found herself acting first.

''Sorry, but there is only one right decision.'' She threw a Widow Bite at Clint's chest so fast that the two spies around her missed it until he fell down shuddering. Hopefully he'd stay down long enough for her to jump. She planned to do the same to Natasha, but was too slow. She grabbed Katya's wrist before she could throw the disk.