🌳🌳🌳

After first break was over, I knew that I had to go and get some studying done. It was the practical thing to do, given that if I didn't, I would essentially have zero chance of passing the English literature exam and I simply had to pass it. 

I was taking three classes, in the hopes of getting into university. I was passing the other two- psychology and art- perfectly well, but when it came down to the essay writing part of English, I was stuck. 

I supposed it hadn't helped that, at the beginning of the year, I had been fairly distracted. That was only because Mr. King had decided to seat Eden and I together- a very bad move on his part. 

Although I didn't want to spend all of my free time in the library, I knew that it was necessary, especially if I wanted to completely wipe the smile of satisfaction off Eden Thorne's smug face. 

My parents had taught me to be down-to-earth and realistic. If you wanted to get to good places in this world, you had to work for them. 

On the other hand, Eden had come from a spectacularly wealthy family. She essentially got everything fed to her on a silver spoon. 

No, I was not jealous, despite what Axel may have suggested earlier. I was simply frustrated by the fact that some people really had to struggle to make it in this world, while others seemed to already be on the guest list to success. 

Pushing that thought out of my mind, I decided to focus on the positives. At least there was a good view from the window of the library, where I was sitting on a comfy green swivel chair. 

The windows allowed me to see out into the woodlands beyond the academy building, filled with oak trees, fresh green grass and flowers in all different colours. 

I had always loved to spend time outdoors. 

Axel and I had gone camping a lot, when we were children. 

I wondered, for only a moment, whether Eden had ever been camping. 

She probably didn't like to get her hands dirty, thinking about it. 

With my nose not so literally in my textbook, I managed to study for about half an hour, before I called it a day. 

I had to go and talk to Mr. King anyway, to see if there was any chance that I could be re-paired for the trip. I knew that Axel might have had a point in saying what he had about how it could be a good bonding experience for Eden and I, but I really couldn't see it happening. The girl barely paid any attention to me and I doubted she was going to start any time soon. 

Even if it meant being paired with one of the rude jocks, at least then I wouldn't have to be living in uncomfortable silence in a tent with who was considered HRS, her royal student. 

I eventually reached the office to find that Mr. King was moving around it, in a desperate search for his pen, or so it seemed. 

"I don't know where I left it," he said quietly, as he looked under one of the desks. 

I gently rapped my knuckles against the desk, in order to get his attention. 

He stood up straight and his expression turned neutral, as though he hadn't just been looking around the whole classroom for a pen like some sort of sniffer dog. 

How had he even let this happen, anyway? He was a teacher. Surely he should have had more than enough pens to use. 

Regardless, he greeted me with a small smile. 

"Good afternoon, Beatrice. How may I help you?" he asked. 

I thought about how best I could ask him what I needed to. 

"Sir, I was wondering if there was any chance that I could be re-paired for the camping trip?" I asked. 

His eyes shone with irritation. 

"You come here to ask me that? Can't you see that I'm very busy here, Beatrice?" he asked me. 

Well, not really. Not at all. 

"Want to borrow my pen?" I asked him and then grabbed one out of my cardigan pocket. 

He calmed down a little, after I had offered him mine, as he reached out to take it. 

"I'm going to be frank with you, Beatrice, I think that this trip could be a good thing for the both of you. It's clear that the two of you have some...unresolved issues that need to be taken care of, and I do believe that the only way you're going to get a chance to do this before the end of the school year, is if the two of you are forced to spend some time together," he said. 

I felt my hand clench up into a fist then. My eyebrows furrowed. 

"But sir, you can't just-" I started to say, but he swiftly cut me off. 

"It's already settled, Beatrice," he said. 

The classroom began to grow a little uncomfortably warm. 

"But-" 

"I've made up my mind," he said. 

I sighed quietly. There was no way I was going to get through to him. 

At least, it certainly seemed that way. To think I had done all of that English studying for his class and this was how he repaid me...

It was truly terrible. 

"Alright, then," I said. Never mind. 

I bid him a quiet farewell and then headed out into the hall again. My feet quickly paced the hall until I reached the door that led out onto the main grounds. I then went to sit in the sunlight, grateful for the warmth from above. At least the sun was out, that was something to be happy about. I could only hope that the weather would remain good for the camping trip, because I really needed at least one positive thing to look forward to. 

I hadn't expected for Mr. King to be so hot-headed. I thought that he would be understanding about my situation. Boy, had I been wrong.