Chapter 6: Love and Pain

The both of us were quiet the whole time we're inside the car. We passed from one building to another but none of us talked. It's like a silent war between us and I know saying something would only mean debating on what I've done and what effect could that possibly cause him in the future. It was his job that's at stake but I couldn't just stand there knowing that I could do something to uplift his spirit. 

The rich are considered powerful, yes but I belong to that status and I say no one in my sight would be treated that way unless they deserve to. I don't know what this guy did to those bastards and their girls that they decided to put Ezekiel's image in shame but regardless, they could have settled their issues somewhere private.

"Why did you do that?" he finally spoke after what felt like hours of silence. 

I took a deep breath as I looked at my wallet that is now empty. "Because you wouldn't stand up for yourself." I simply said and I felt his eyes staring intently at me. "What?" I mustered the courage to met his eyes but it was too intense. It's like there's a storm coming and I'm too scared to even look at it but I still did. 

"There's a place and time to be brave Eero."

"And that was the time to be! They were literally shaming you for being a waiter!"

"It's my fault-"

"Regardless if it's your fault, an apology would have sufficed Ezekiel!" I insisted and he took a deep breath like he's struggling to control his emotions. "Have some pride will you?"

"What can pride do if I will not be able to do jobs like that again?"

"What do you need the money for? You're working in a cafe, you're working with us... Ezekiel how much more money do you want?"

"Enough to save up for my college life that will start next month!" he shouted, deep frustration was evident in his voice. 

"You're a fucking scholar Ezekiel, need I remind you!"

"A scholar but that doesn't mean your father would pay for the books, projects and every little expenses that I need to pass the subjects!"

"Then I will tell him!"

"Eero you don't understand..." his voice felt weak all of a sudden. Like he's tired of this argument; like I'm too shallow as a person and I can't seem to understand what he's talking about. 

"Then make me understand Ezekiel, because I don't really know why are you working hard when you're earning money from two jobs and now you want to make it three? What are you, a slave!?"

"Eero you won't understand. Money for us is everything. We need that to survive; I need that to survive my daily life. I can't just ask for my parents' money just because I need to pay for a project in college."

"You... ugh!" 

I was lost for words and I got tired of the argument as well. I don't really get it why is he full of pride when I'm talking about his scholarship and demanding Dad to cover more of his expenses when he literally stood there like a fucking retard, letting those idiots embarrass him! He could've choked them to death with those arms and I would ask my mom to defend him in court!

We were quiet once again for the whole trip. He's frustrated for what I've done and I'm frustrated because he didn't even thank me for saving his ass plus the fact that I don't understand where all of this greed for money is coming from. 

We dropped him off at his house and he mumbled a half hearted thank you before getting out of the car. I was so close in banging his head for him to clear his clouded mind. I don't really know what I have done wrong! He wants more work? All he got to do is ask rather than waiting tables just to be the laughing stock of those new money boys!