forty two

it was around ten at night when theodore came back to his room after talking with his father and found aurelia lying on the bed whilst her eyes were fixed on the ceiling

it was around ten at night when theodore came back to his room after talking with his father and found aurelia lying on the bed whilst her eyes were fixed on the ceiling. letting out a tired sigh, he quietly laid down besides her and looked at her.

"what are you thinking?" he asked, breaking aurelia from her chain of thoughts.

"nothing. just wondering about what the future holds for me." aurelia answered, turning her head to look at theodore who was watching her with pity in his eyes.

"whatever it has, you have me with you. always." theodore assured, interwining his fingers with aurelia's. 

he had no idea that aurelia was scared of promises ; for they are always broken. when a child is born, the parents gradually promises to be there for their child but in aurelia's case the promise broke. sirius had promised her that they'll be a proper family once everything is back to normal but he too broke the promise. aurelia didn't want any more promises to be broken for she won't be able to bear the pain anymore.

"when this is all over we'll be happy for the rest of our lives. I'm sure." theodore smiled but it dropped when aurelia turned her head back to stare at the ceiling. he noticed the stream of tears leaving aurelia's eyes and it pained him to hear the soft whimpers.

"hey hey what's wrong?" theodore got up and made aurelia sit in front of him,"I'm so sorry but why are you crying?"

"I'm tired theodore." aurelia choked on her tears,"i can't stand fake promises anymore. they are always broken in the end. i can't take it anymore."

scooting closer to aurelia, he wrapped his arms around her and stroked her hair while she silently sobbed in his chest.

"i promise golden that i won't break my promise."

a loud bang startled them both as they looked at each other with worried expression. loud and angry shouts boomed through the walls causing theodore to remember what his father had told him.

"what's that?" aurelia whispered, wiping the tears with the back of her sleeves.

"just stay here." theodore said in a hushed tone and grabbed his wand from the side table before making his way out. 

he held the wand defensively in front of him and prayed for the best though a voice in his head kept speaking of something worse that he could ever imagine. he crouched down and pressed his back against the wall besides which were the stairs leading downstairs.

"NOTT WHAT ARE YOU HIDING!" theodore recognised it as lucius malfoy's voice making his throat to dry due to the amount of fear circling him.

"look malfoy i don't know what those bloody idiots are saying and trust me I don't even care. i already told you that when i caught aurelia potter-"

"you brought her to your house! now the question is why?" lucius sneered cutting of theodore nott sr.

"because i wanted to claim the prize of having caught her. i wanted to shine in the eyes of the dark lord. i wanted to prove myself." theodore nott sr. shrugged casually.