Chapter 27: Bedroom

♡  Alaiya's POV:  ♡

My tears sting me, as does the bullet that shot through my heart when she said those words. Everyone is looking over at me now, and that's only making me get more emotional and embarrassed. I rush out of the room because I'm not going to have a full-on breakdown in front of my family. My feet walk up the stairs and when I arrive at my bedroom door, I can hear my mom yelling at my dad at the top of her lungs for what he's about to do, or should I say should be doing.

"We'll say she's mentally unstable." I hear my mom offer."We'll kick her out of our lives and we'll move away."

I would think or hope that she was talking about someone else, but what my dad says next shows it's not.

"She's our daughter," he tries to explain to her.

Well, that hurt even more.

"No daughter of mine would be such an ugly person to send her dad to jail. She's just looking for attention. Carson would never do something like that, and she probably just wants to make an excuse to be with that other guy." my mother spits in disgust, and that's when I can't hold it anymore.

My dad hates me, Carson hates me, my mom definitely hates me, Ms.Walker probably hates me, Grandma Rose and Aunt Penny probably hate me. I hate me.

I shoot back around towards my room as I'm basically holding my breath because of the loud sobs I feel coming, but a pair of arms go around me before I can make it as I'm also met with a hard chest. I know who it is because I know who holds me like this, though I don't have the energy to look up at him to confirm.

After twenty-one years, I've finally reached my breaking point. Forget reaching it, it's been slammed into my face.

"You're okay." Roman rubs my back up and down as his other hand rests on the back of my head, holding me as close to him as I can be.

I only cry harder, and it feels like I have poison coming out of me each time a louder and louder sob comes out. My head hurts so bad and at the same time, that I feel weirdly numb.

***

Roman's POV

I see her teary-eyed face after she cried for hours non-stop but finally fell asleep against my chest after a while. I have never in my entire life seen a stronger, yet also destroyed person than when I saw Alaiya's mom tell Alaiya she hated her. Seeing Alaiya's face when she said that broke my fucking heart into pieces, and it probably shattered hers' too.

I would say I know what it's like to be in her position, but I have no idea. I had a shitty mother who didn't give a shit about me while growing up, but holy fuck did Alaiya go through things that I don't even want to imagine her going through. I don't think she even told half of it, which only makes me worry for her more.

Her hand is still gripping my shirt as her body is facing mine, letting me see her wet cheeks and tears that are still falling a little in her sleep. I wipe them away, as well as the remainder of the wetness before she sniffs and moves deeper into my chest.

She looks tired. Tired of all the shit that happened that she did not deserve, but being tired comes with shit that I really hope she doesn't go through.

The door opens after a slight knock and her grandparent's poke their heads in to check and see if she's doing okay. They both look at her in worry and her grandma begins first.