three - an introduction

The cozy little cabin the bearded man set her up with was enough for three people to live in. She felt very out of place, noting that the main room was almost as big as her old room back in her pack.

Her eyes brown eyes twinkled with curiosity as she stared in awe outside the window. It was early in the morning when they arrived, just in time for Selena to see the sun rising behind the tall oak trees that covered the mountains.

"The view here is quite magnificent, isn't it?" The man spoke.

"I'm really sorry for intruding in your home." She crumpled her lips.

She lied to get in here, but she had no other choice. The only worry she had was what if Nathaniel found them and the man's family is mixed in?

"Don't mention it. We don't use this house anymore. A very good friend set us up with the house at the end of the street."

Selena peered over the road and saw the house or more like the mansion at the end of the street. It had a clean white-coated facade, three stories, and one awe-striking veranda. It was almost like a packhouse.

"It looks like a hotel or a mansion used for country clubs," Selena spoke, unsure if she should have said her thoughts out loud.

"Well," the man smiled. "It is kind of a club. We're not the only family who lives there. It's a shelter for homeless people. My wife and I chose to live there to provide help for the needy."

"You must be very kind people." She smiled.

"I don't know about my wife being kind, but thank you. My wife's extra clothes are in the closet. Please, make yourself comfortable."

Just before the man made his leave, Selena cleared her throat.

"Uh, wait. I haven't even gotten your name yet."

He nods. "Winston Hayward, and you are?"

"My name's Selena. Nice to meet you and thank you again for letting a stranger into your home."

"Please, don't mention it. It's always a good feeling to help."

Despite not knowing much of Winston, Selena felt that he was completely trustworthy. She didn't sense one wrong motive from him. If he did do anything to her, she had the option of kicking him in the groin.

With a tired and cumbersome sigh, she smiles as she watched Winston walk outside the door.

She wasted no time in getting rid of her foul-smelling clothing. She shrugged off Nathaniel's jacket, putting it inside an empty hamper. While she was doing so, her heart inexplicably cracked. It had his scent. Covered under the muck, dirt, and blood, Nathaniel's scent persisted to devour her completely.

She was wearing it all night. That only meant that she smelled like him too.

Selena grimaced and quickly tore off her bloody clothes and entered the shower, letting warm water massage and soothe her aching body.

While warm water showered her entire body, her mind runs to her brother. The pack had him in ties and all the destruction caused by the attack needed to be fixed. If Nathaniel only let her stay for a couple more days, maybe she would be much more complacent in coming with him to his pack.

As the water traveled down the drain, so did her worries. At least for now while Nathaniel was miles away with no way of tracking her down.

After the shower, Selena scoured the closet for clothes that might fit her. They were all maternity clothing and almost exclusive silk and satin. Winston and his wife were either rich or had expensive taste. She felt undeserving to wear them. Luckily, there was a pair of sweatpants and a single long-sleeved t-shirt that might have belonged to Winston tucked under the dresses.