⁰¹⁶ jealousy, jealousy

❝ i can see straight through her little nice girl act ! ❞

her little nice girl act !

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE CLASS WAS QUIET AS PROFESSOR UMBRIDGE ENTERED THE ROOM. as it was their first lesson with her, nobody knew how strict a disciplinarian she would be. she burned the paper bird that was once flying around the classroom, the sizzling ashes landing on padma and parvati's desk. the excited chatter had then died down, and the students all watched her wearily, already beginning to judge what sort of teacher she was going to be.

"good morning, students." she flicked her wand and her words began to write themselves down on the chalkboard behind her. "ordinary wizarding level examinations! more commonly known as: o.w.l.s." she stopped at the front of the classroom, smiling harshly. "study hard, and you will be rewarded. fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." she waved her wand again, and the stack of books that were piled up high on her desk began to hand themselves out, one to each student. "your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven — but you will be pleased to know that from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, ministry-approved course of defensive magic."

hermione raised her hand, and umbridge nodded. "yes?"

"there's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" she stated in a questioning voice.

"using spells?" umbridge repeated, laughing as if it was the most preposterous idea she had ever heard. "well, i can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"we're not gonna use magic?" ron exclaimed incredulously.

"you will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"well, what's the point of that? if we're attacked it won't be 'risk free', will it?" harry spoke loudly, eyebrows furrowed in distaste.

"students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." professor umbridge snapped. "it is the view of the ministry, that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations— which after all, is what school is all about."

"—and how is theory supposed to protect us from what's out there?" harry exclaimed.

"there's nothing out there, dear!" she spoke softly. "who would you imagine would want to attack children like yourself?"

"oh, i don't know. . ." the boy began with sarcasm. ". . . lord voldemort?!"

the students in the class began to whisper about the boy in annoyance. most of them (and their parents) were also believing harry was lying about you-know-who's return— including seamus finnegan, who was scowling at the back of his head.