Chapter Twenty-five

Nathan

The sound of someone screaming got me jumping out of bed and running out of my room. It was coming from Alyssa's room. I rushed to open the door but it was locked.

“Alyssa!” I called but she didn't reply.

I heard the sound of something hitting the ground and glass breaking and Alyssa screamed again. Was someone in there with her? Maybe they're hurting her.

I'll kill anyone who dares to harm her.

I pushed the door harder, trying frantically to open it. It wasn't working. I decided to break the door down. I took a few steps back and ran to the door shoulder first. It swung open violently and hit the wall hard, most likely leaving a dent.

I didn't bother about it, my attention was on Alyssa. No one was here with her. She was on the bed, thrashing around frantically. Beads of sweat rolled down her face as she breathed raggedly. She was having a nightmare, a bad one no doubt.

I had to wake her up. I went to her side and grabbed one of her arms, using it to steady her as I held the other.

“Alyssa! Wake up.” I tried, shaking her.

“No... please...” She sobbed in her sleep as tears escaped her eyes.

What is happening in her head? I couldn't help but wonder.

“Nathan help me.” She cried.

“I'm right here, Love. Please wake up.”

She screamed again and kicked her legs. I lost my grip on her arms and had to step back so I won't be hit by her swinging limbs. After many attempts, I managed to get her in my arms, cradling her against my chest. As if sensing it was me, she stopped thrashing and held onto my shirt like it was her lifeline.

I took the opportunity to pull her closer so I could carry her bridal style to my bedroom. I didn't want her to stay alone if her nightmares where this bad, I'd rather have her stay with me even though it meant that I wouldn't be sleeping anymore.

She didn't let me put her down, her hold on my shirt was too tight and I didn't want to force her off me so I sat on the bed, holding her close.

“I'm so sorry, Nathan.” She whispered, more tears leaving her eyes as she finally calmed down.

Sorry? What was she sorry for?

Shaking the thought, I gently laid her down, slipping in beside her. I wiped her face and began stroking her hair soothingly to help her relax. She sighed deeply, pressing herself closer to me.

If we were in any other situation and she was pressed up against me like this, I'd be turned on but I willed myself not to be.

This isn't the time, Nathan. I told myself.

I just focused on making sure Alyssa was relaxed while she slept and not long after, I was asleep.

*********

I was the first one of us to wake up. Alyssa didn't have anymore nightmares and slept the rest of the night. I woke up a few times when she moved in her sleep but got enough sleep.

What I couldn't help notice was how warm she was. Her body temperature was higher than usual. I touched her neck with the back of my hand to make sure. I was right. She's having a fever.

I carefully slipped out of the bed and into my bathroom. I had a few smaller towels and dipped one in cold water. She groaned when I placed it on her forehead, her face contouring with pain. She didn't wake up though.