Life in the Flames-12

Chapter 12

The Festival

"Power can drive a person crazy. Make sure you keep and make smart choices," my mother's voice spoke inside my head when I recalled one of my latest training sessions.

"Me? Surely I'm not the only water wielder to take the seat?"

"Alonia, your tribe was the last know civilization of water benders. The southern tribe was located near the earth kingdom's border when the disputes began before the treaty. It was reported that there were no survivors," he said sadly.

"Someone had to have escaped. You can't tell me that the entire race has been extinct!"

Utzi scratched his chin, "Honestly, what I have been told every last person was put to death. There could be refugees out in hiding but nothing is for sure. Even if there were someone else you would still inherit the title. Its in your blood."

"Even if I do take the seat, whom would I name choices for if my people are dead?" I asked with my wavering voice now under my firm control.

"The only council member who knows you even exist is my father. You cannot take the seat until you turn eighteen, but it is also smart to have you lie low until things calm down."

"But that didn't answer my question."

"Well if there are water wielders out there once they hear a girl has taken the council seat, then I am sure some will come to support you. Or to come take the seat from you-," Utzi trailed off.

I could feel my anger escalading, so I took a deep breath, thanked Utzi, and walked outside into the garden. I kept my anger under my control but I could feel the water around me humming in response.

A few servants were outside working the flowers and plants in the garden and I made sure they wouldn't notice me as I passed them without a sound. I slipped through the drape like leaves of the willow and sat down on the canceled bench.

As soon as I sat down the tears started flowing but this time I did nothing to contain them. I just needed to let it all out of my system, everything.

After I could cry no more, I just sat and meditated to calm myself down. I could not let anyone know how I was feeling.

I took a deep breath and started waving my way out through the swaying branches. My eyes were an even brighter shade of blue from my crying, but other than that my appearance showed nothing else was wrong. So as I broke through the leafy barrier I kept my head held high as I started walking back towards the ballroom through the garden.

I walked around one of the tall flowered shrubs and I smacked right into someone's warm front side. I stumbled backwards but a warm hand gently helped me to steady myself.

"I'm sorry," I said looking down at my feet embarrassed.

"Alonia it's fine," Burke said. I looked up to meet his orange eyes and his warm smile.

"Sorry I was just a little distracted."

He laughed, "Alonia its fine, wait are you all right?" he asked noticing my eyes.

"No, I'm perfectly fine. Will you please excuse me, I need to go find Breezy," I said pushing my way past him so no more questions would be asked.

I carefully dodged four servants with ribbons, flowers, or pots in their hands until I finally made it back into the ballroom. The long, lean, air dancers stretched around the stage where Jasmine and Breezy laid out silk multicolored costumes while Utzi checked the drums.

"There you are! It's time to go start getting ready," Breezy said.

"Now? It doesn't take that long for me to get ready."