Derailed

As we all know there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soirée promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge. Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fetes. For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

Abigail entered the Trowbridge ball side by side with the rest of the Bridgertons. Benedict, once again escorting her on his arm as Anthony led his sister in, and Colin led his mother. Just like Daphne and Violet, she too wore a black band around her deep, blush pink dress and a black flower in her hair, holding up her half updo. 

The ballroom was alight with dancers and trapeze artists hanging from the ceiling. Taking in the scenery, Abby could see what Lady Whistledown meant by referencing the 'sensual nature' of the ball. 

She watched Daphne walk off with Anthony; and Colin leave to, she assumed, find Miss Thompson. That left her with Benedict and Violet. 

"Abigail, why don't you come and keep me company for a moment." Violet beckoned for her and she exchanged a glance with Benedict so as to apologize for leaving him. 

She walked over and stood next to Lady Bridgerton, who almost immediately reached for two champagne flutes. One she handed to Abigail, the other she practically downed in one gulp. 

Abby smirked into her own flute as she fallowed the woman's gaze and saw she was watching Daphne greet the Prince. She knew her children were driving her insane and, of course, she felt for her, but at the moment she was simply finding it a little funny. 

Anthony joined herself and his mother soon enough, and Violet seemed to wave someone over. 

"Ah good, Anthony. This is Miss Addington, the Earl of Lindsay's niece." Violet pulled the young lady she had called over and introduced her to her son. 

"Pleasure." Anthony greeted. 

She wasn't sure if he could, but Abigail could see exactly what was going on. She clenched her glass and felt a strange tightening sensation in her stomach which she could only assume to be identified as jealousy. 

"See?" Violet said to Miss Addington. "Perhaps you two could..." then she trailed off, expecting him to know she meant dance. 

"I would love to," he started and Abigail felt the pit in her stomach grow tighter. "But unfortunately I came over here to ask Miss Bentley to dance." He said and reached for her hand, clearly quick to get out of the situation. 

She accepted it and set her champagne on a passing tray as he pulled her out onto the dance floor. They began a waltz. 

"I would object to that being terribly rude, but I have to say, I'm rather glad you did it." She said in a low volume as the swept across the floor. 

He smirked at this and said, "Is that jealousy I detect, Miss Bentley?" 

Knowing she couldn't deny it, she simply said, "It might be." 

She saw his smirk grow wider and began to defend herself but she was cut off by a question he asked. 

"How scandalous you think it would be if we left to take a walk?" 

She was suddenly very flustered with the openness of his flirting and took a moment before she replied. 

"Well, technically we're not supposed to be alone together."