Chapter 3

Third person pov

It's inconceivable, and Hiruzen wonders how he's going to break it to the counsel, and to the village as a whole. Such a thing shouldn't have been a possibility. He knew they'd be met with waves of disbelief, and he couldn't say he'd blame them for it.

It was astonishing to see Minato Namikaze, alive and smiling as brightly as the last time Hiruzen had seen him. He thought of all the things that would change now that the blonde man was back. Once it was established that he was alive and was who he claimed to be, he could get caught up on current events and retake his place as the Fourth. The village's standing would be re-strengthened, and the village, reinvigorated with his return. And Naruto would--- 

Naruto. Hiruzen's mind halted on him as Minato pulled back from his hug with Kakashi, his blue eyes turning steely as he asked to be taken to his son. It made sense. He had gone straight for Naruto as soon as he got back, searching for him from the moment he stepped foot into the village.

Minato had been backed into a corner and forced to seal the Nine Tails in Naruto, fighting to keep his infant son alive. Waking up after weighing his son down with such a burden had to have sent him into a frenzy of worry, not knowing whether or not his son was alive, or healthy, or able to bear the chakra.

Hiruzen had put strict rules in place to keep Naruto from finding out he was a Jinchuriki, and to keep other nations from finding out he was one. It being forbidden to speak prevented civilians from outright saying it, but their distaste towards the boy had always been clear. It wasn't something Hiruzen could publicly address without causing some sort of uproar, or without it getting out of the village just what Naruto was hosting. Hiruzen's hands were tied.

Shamefully, he could admit to having been somewhat... neglectful of Naruto's needs. He made sure he had money and a place to sleep, and visited with him regularly to see how he was doing, but he did little to check in on the behavior of Konoha's residents. He knew it... he knew it was less than acceptable.

Minato wasn't going to be very happy about that. Hiruzen remembered him to be a kind, level-headed man. This, understandably, was not something he would simply sit back and accept.

Minato barely stopped to ask if he was dismissed before Hiruzen was standing and waving him off. His only request was that Minato be ready to come back to speak with the elders of Konoha, and that he try to keep himself out of heavily-populated roads until the announcement of his survival was broadcast.

Minato smiled and bowed his agreement to the terms before turning to race after Kakashi, who was just itching to take his sensei to his son. The copy-cat ninja was excited to finally meet the boy, and to be able to watch him get the family he deserved. Finally, finally he'd be safe, and loved, and treated as he deserved. Kakashi was practically teeming with excitement.

There was something unbelievable about looking back and seeing his sensei darting after him. So alive and vivid, with a determined smile set on his face and trust in his eyes. He took off after Kakashi, wordlessly accepting his student's guidance and not once doubting him.

There had always been something so earth-shattering about Minato's faith. It was so easy to earn, and just as easy to lose. To maintain it was truly a feat. To see it still in tact after six years made Kakashi's eyes water uncharacteristically, and he tried to slow his racing heart. He wasn't sure whether or not this was a dream. If it was, he never wanted it to end. 

"The village has changed so much!" Minato called over the wind rushing past his ears. Kakashi's gaze snapped to him, his one visible eye widening as though he hadn't expected to be talked to. Minato couldn't help but laugh a little. "I'm glad its recovered so well! Though, I can't say I'm super happy about how I found Naruto!"