Chapter 37 - Eavesdropping

"Come on old man," you say with a laugh.

"Take it easy, Y/n!" Steve groans, leaning on you for support.

"I thought you said you could do this all day?" you tease.

"Yeah, yeah, I know," Steve grunts, letting out a pained laugh as you help him hobble into the elevator.

You hadn't planned on spending your first three days home with the family on constant bedside watch, but Steve's injuries had been bad. Really bad. And without the constant healing sessions from you and Loki, Bruce said it would have taken him months to recover.

Now able to walk (with a good amount of support), Bruce had given Steve the all-clear to go back to his quarters, and you had eagerly volunteered to help him get there.

Moving slowly across the lab and up the elevator, you help Steve hobble down the hallway and to his room, kicking open the door and helping him sit on the edge of his bed.

"Okay, just...lay down - yeah, good. Fine," you say as Steve flops backwards, grimacing as his head hits the pillow. 

You adjust the bedding slightly, propping his head up and making sure his neck is supported as you pull back the covers.

"So, Cap, how do you feel?"

"Like I got stabbed thirty four times," he groans.

"And shot four times," you whisper under your breath.

"And what?" says Steve, looking at you in shock.

You cringe. Tony and Bruce thought it best not to immediately tell Steve about all the trauma he had suffered. Something about the 'mental and emotional repercussions of such serious physical trauma'.

"Oh nothing. Yeah. Stabbed thirty four times wow sheesh that's...yeah. A lot," you say.

Steve grumbles for a moment, casting you a skeptical glance.

"Anyway, you need anything?" you say.

"No," he winces, "I'm fine. Go. You've spent enough hours with little 'ole me this morning."

You toss him a smile and cross to his door, ready to leave and find Loki.

"Actually, Y/n, wait. Can you...can you get something from my bed chest for me? It's a knit blanket."

"Yeah, sure," you say, walking to the end of the bed.

Steve is the only Avenger to have a 1940's bed chest at the foot of his bed. Instead of keeping all of his shit in a dresser or in a drawers, he insists on keeping it all in a chest. But hey, whatever works for him.