Quite A Spectacle

Quite a Spectacle

...

Bunny grumbled to herself, arms crossed over her chest and foot tapping an irregular beat on the wooden floorboards. She really should have been used to Jack's tardiness by now, even if it had been less and less frequent since he'd acquired a watch. And yet there she was, irritated that the younger spirit was late. Again. She turned her gaze over to North, ready to take out her frustration on the man. North, however, anticipated what the female Pooka was going to say and cut that conversation off before it could begin.

"He has just lost track of time," the Cossack waved flippantly.

"The least 'e could do is show up!"

Tooth paused in directing her fairies to pay attention the conversation. Sandy continued to snooze obliviously.

"He has been here for while. As I say, he has lost track of time."

Bunny paused, a confused furrow in her brow. "Wait, what?"

"He arrived this morning; said he knew meeting was today and had nothing better to do."

"Where is he then?"

"In library."

Bunny blinked like someone had just slapped her in the face. "Jack. Jack is in the library."

"Come, we go to him," North smiled, walking out of the Globe Room without waiting to check that the others were following. Bunny was quick to hop after him, still rather sceptical and a little worried about the books. Tooth shared a look with her fairies before nudging Sandy awake and joining them.

...

...

North's library was, in a word, huge. Countless shelves as high as the ceiling lined the room holding such a vast quantity of texts ranging from magic to classical literature that no mortal man would ever be able to read them all in one lifetime even if reading was all he ever did.

It took a little while but they eventually found Jack curled up in an armchair deep within the fiction section, his face obscured by the worn cover of the book he was reading. His staff was propped gently against the chair beside him.

"Jack!" North greeted heartily.

The winter spirit jumped, obviously not having noticed their approach. "Did I miss the meeting?" he asked knowingly, resting the book on his knees.

Bunny was about to respond in the affirmative but suddenly found herself lost for words upon seeing Jack's face.

"Are you wearing glasses sweet tooth?" Tooth asked, looking mildly surprised.

Jack frowned momentarily before his eyes widened in understanding. "Oh, right," he said, pulling off the black-framed specs. "I forgot I hadn't told you. Is this really the first time I've read around you guys?"

"I didn't know you were far-sighted."

"Took me a little while to figure it out, too," Jack shrugged. "But then again, I didn't get to read very often unless I managed to sneak into a library. Who knew North had such a great collection?!"

Sandy caught his attention, a few sand pictures flickering into existence.

"Where did I get them?" he interpreted the question. "Ummm…"

"You stole them, didn't you?" Bunny said flatly.

"I did not steal them," Jack huffed. "I bought them with the coins I'd been saving up. And I didn't steal those, either. I found them on the ground."

"So, what, you just waltzed up into a store and bought a pair of glasses?"

"Well obviously it wasn't that simple," Jack rolled his eyes. "But I left the money where the cashier would find it."

"They look good on you," Tooth smiled.

"Yes, makes you look sophisticated," North added.

"He looks ridiculous," Bunny countered.

"I'm a little surprised the insults aren't being dished out yet," Jack said honestly.

"Well, would be bit hypocritical for Bunny to do such a thing," North smirked. Bunny immediately turned to glare at him with a 'don't you dare' expression.

"Oh?" Jack raised a brow, a similar smile tugging at his own lips. "I didn't take you for someone who needed glasses, Cottontail."

"That was yonks ago," Bunny growled.

North leaned in conspiratorially and winked, "They were green tinted. Matched his robe."

"North!"

"Please tell me you have a picture!" Jack cried, biting his lip as he leapt to his feet.

Sandy nodded enthusiastically, gesturing for Jack to follow him, and before Bunny could even register what had happened they were gone.

"Oi! Get back here!" she called, racing after them. "Sandy, don't you dare!"

"We'd better make sure they don't destroy the library," Tooth said, stifling a giggle. North agreed. Nothing was safe when Sandy and Jack teamed up and some of the books were irreplaceable.

"Besides, has been while since we've looked at old pictures," North replied, following her in the direction the others had gone.