4) Mr Tall, Dark and Handsome

Looking forward to meeting you, Mr Tall, Dark and Handsome <3!

XOXOX

Severus crushed the sickeningly pink paper in his fist. If only it had been Dumbledore's neck instead. What had that crackpot old fool been thinking? "I know just the right lady for you, Severus," the old man had said. "No one should be alone on Valentine's Day. Trust me, you'll enjoy this." And the geezer had had the audacity to wink. No one else dared wink at Severus if they'd wanted to avoid a life full of attempted poisonings. And what a short life that would be.

Of course, Severus hadn't agreed. Then Dumbledore had begged and begged and begged. Troubled him at random times during the night to tell him about the "poor disappointed young lady!" He'd shut the door on the old fool's face each time, obviously.

But after several sleepless days he'd said yes, if only to finally get a moment's peace. Then come Valentine's Day he'd locked himself up in his office. It was supposed to be secure, he'd warded it himself. He should've known nothing could stop Dumbledore. The Headmaster had barged right in, given him this...this ludicrous letter and apparated him right into Madam Puddifoot's for his...date.

Hot pink confetti broke Severus' trance, bringing his attention back to the agonisingly cramped, lurid-pink frilled tea shop. With a growl, Severus flicked his wand, casting a muffliato and a shield around him and his...date. Several students averted their gaze as they awkwardly attempted snogging each other, trying to pretend he didn't exist. He snarled. If they knew what was good for them, they'd keep this to themselves. As for Severus himself, well, he was trying to avoid looking at the "special lady" in front of him. But they'd already been sitting in an awkward silence for far too long. It was time to address the Erumpent in Madam Puddifoot's.

Minerva McGonagall.

Her cheeks were red like a Weasley's when he looked up. "Well..." She cleared her throat. "Are...are you sure you're supposed to be here, Severus?" Her ears turned red to match her cheeks. Was she related to the Weasleys? "There wasn't anyone else? Dumbledore said a nice young man would be waiting for me at this table."

Severus smoothed out the note and passed it to her. Minerva didn't reach for it, instead crumpling her hat with both hands at the sight of it. "Mr tall, dark and handsome?" he snarled.

"Ahem, well...I..." She averted her eyes. "I suppose it's you then."

Something about the way she said it, all disappointed like, made this...this unpleasant feeling stir within Severus. What it was, he didn't know. So Severus did what Severus did best when he couldn't make sense of his own emotions—focus on the students. He temporarily dispelled the muffliato.

"You there!" He pointed at a boy who seemed to look his way a millisecond longer than he should've. "Five feet on the uses of the Eye of Newt in potions due by Friday!"

The boy started and sputtered, letting go of his girlfriend's hand like he'd been shocked "But—but I—"

"Make that due tomorrow" Severus hissed and the boy stopped complaining. Those puppy dog eyes never worked on him.

"Severus Snape, what do you think you're doing?" Minerva glared at him, her blush gone and her lips thin with her custom severity.

He waved his hand dismissively. "O'Blighty isn't a Gryffindor, you don't need to worry about him."

Her eyes flashed something fierce. "I'll have you know that I care about students in all houses."

"Oh really?" Severus drawled. "Pray tell, did you protest much that year Dumbledore gave Gryffindor 170 undeserved house points?"