CHAPTER FIVE

I clutched onto Niyi with a vice-like grip, paralyzed with fear. My life flashed before my eyes as I thought of all the things I should and should not have done. The end seemed inevitable. Considering the circumstances, Niyi was remarkably calm. His lack of anxiety was probably his way of keeping me at peace. Ironically, his cool demeanor had the reverse effect.

Out of the darkness, a tall, sinewy, man stepped forward. His mahogany skin gleamed with an ethereal glow and his eyes shone like radiant, white diamonds. The brightness of his countenance filled the room with a fiery glow. He had a small, red cloth with an intricate African pattern tied around his waist and a long, golden staff in his right hand. He was undeniably the most beautiful and terrifying thing I had ever seen.

He stepped forward and spoke again in a deep, authoritative voice. Each word he spoke resonated in the air and the walls trembled. I still could not utter a word, and only snuck peeks at him, the sight before me was too fearful to behold. He spoke in a rich, Yoruba tone. An accent which was only heard from our elders.

"Iba o! Iba!
Iba akoda aye, Iba aseda orun.
Iba Olodumare, ibere ohun gbogbo ati opin ohun gbogbo.
Alagbada ina, arugbo ojo.
Kabiesi re."

"I pay homage! I pay homage!
Homage to the firstborn of creation, homage to the the creator of the heavens.
Homage to the Almighty, the beginning of all things and ending of all things.
He who wears a garment of fire, Ancient of Days.
Unquestionable one."

He struck his golden staff to the ground three times and continued.

"Emi, Jagulabi. Okan soso ajanaku ti n mi igbo jigi jigi. Bi iku ba n f'ohun ki arun dake. Emi ajagun, asegun. Ota ri mi, o sa. Ika ri mi, o wo ile lo."

"I, Jagunlabi. The one, mighty elephant that makes the forest tremble. When death is speaking, sickness must be silent. I, a warrior and a conqueror. Enemies see me and flee. Wickedness sees me and enters the ground."

He stepped forward and Niyi discretely moved me aside slightly. He shook his head, faced Niyi with a look of disapproval on his face and addressed him directly.

"Awo. Bawo lo se je ti o fi n wo omo binrin yii niran? Ti o fi se asise nla?"

"Initiate. Why were you watching this woman until she committed such a grevious error?"

My eyes fluttered with shock when I heard his question. I had spent a little under a year in Nigeria but my understanding of Yoruba was flawless. I was frightened, but not insane. The paranormal being standing before us just referred to my boyfriend Niyi, as 'Awo'. Which meant that Niyi was an Ifa —God of divination and wisdom, priest. I could not believe that we had been so close, and yet I had been kept in the dark all along.

Niyi's response was bold yet respectful. He stood with shoulders squared and clutched both hands together, with elbows bent. Apparently, it was not his first encounter with the spirit world.