Bittersweet

A/N: Oh man, I do not deserve all you sweet people. So sorry for leaving you to wait a bit longer after that cliffhanger. Thank you for being patient with me while I was on my trip. My job can be so unpredictable sometimes, especially with a lot of the world reopening.

Hope this chapter does ya'll some good! (Pssst... there's a lil cameo by the king of cameos in the MCU)

~

...he heard Steve's voice coming through the other side of the door, calling in a cheerful "alright, I'm coming in ya little sleepy head!"

"Wait, Stevie I'm not dressed, hang on," Dove yelled back, just as the knob started to squeak in rotation.

She heard a muffled sigh from just behind the door. "You could've said something," he argued, irritated that he had almost walked in on his sister changing.

Dove launched up from the bed, nearly stumbling over with how sleepy her limbs still were. She looked down to Bucky with panicked eyes, waving like a fucking maniac for him to get up. Mouthing pleas to him to hurry as he crawled off the mattress to his feet as quietly as possible.

"Oh, I was also wondering if you know where Bucky is," Steve called through the door, still waiting right outside. "He wasn't in the guest room. I know he said he had some things to do today, but I didn't think he'd be out the door so early."

The entire time he was talking, Dove was trying to find somewhere to hide a whole ass man in her bedroom. "What the fuck do we do?" Bucky forcefully whispered, barely making a sound as he spoke.

She swiveled her head over the room in a panic. Come on, Dove. It's just like hide-and-seek. Right. Just like that. Her eyes continued to flick around the space as she replied with a nonchalant, "I have no idea. How would I know?" back to Steve, then cringing at her poorly formed tone.

Her eyes landed on her closet. She pointed over to it silently and Bucky followed her gesture. He cocked his head at her, wearing an expression that screamed 'are you fucking kidding me?' Ignoring his attitude, she grabbed him by the shoulders and marched him over to her closet. She shoved him inside so he was squished into her overstuffed rack of clothing, then slammed the door shut in his face.

"I don't know," Steve shrugged to himself, "I just didn't know if he mentioned something to you yesterday," he sighed. "Should I just come back in a bit? You seem... busy."

Dove skipped over, finally swinging her bedroom door open and smiling up at her brother. "Not at all, what's up?" she huffed, sounding slightly out of breath.

"This might sound kinda weird, but do you think you could drive me to work? I'm planning on going to the bar after I'm off and I don't want to come back here to drop my car off beforehand. Bucky was supposed to drive me, but I have no idea where he is."

"Can mom take you?" she asked, tapping her fingers on the trim of the doorway where her hand was resting, hoping she could get some more alone time with the guy in her closet.

Steve shook his head. "Mom left for work. Dad is at home, but he wasn't feeling well, so he's still in bed and I don't really want to disturb him," he shuddered.

Dove understood his concerns all too well. Joseph was not to be fucked with when he was sick or sleeping. The only valid reasons for them to bug their dad under those circumstances would be either a death in the family or if the house was on fire. And since neither of those exceptions were current, she agreed to drive Steve.