the end.

authors note!

hi friends, i decided that i wanted to continue this book with one last chapter to end it off and bring everything together. i ended this book a long time ago but i knew i wanted to do something more with it, especially since so many people still read this and i love you all so very much xoxox
it's a long one and moves a bit fast because i had a lot to fit in one chapter that's over 10k words. it also doesn't follow the plotline of the series or comic book at all. my own ideas. this is the very last chapter and there will not be a second book but i wanted to write these characters i love so much again one more time!!
xx

" HOPE IS A DANGEROUS
THING TO HAVE "

" HOPE IS A DANGEROUS THING TO HAVE "

The apocalypse was a cycle. Morning to night, January to December, winter to summer. The days flew by like blank pages in a book that had been ripped through front to back desperate for words. Each day their list of reasons to live grew slimmer, and their chance of survival dwindled along with it.

In the beginning they'd had hope - not much of it, but enough to get them through the days and nights. The world was so vast, there must had been someone, at least one human out there with the potential to find a cure. Vada figured, maybe they were naive to think it was ever possible. You couldn't heal rotten flesh and you certainly couldn't avoid fate.

Not only was it a cycle, but a vicious one at that. If the universe didn't take you down the first time, it would try again and again until it had you begging and pleading on your knees for mercy or any semblance of compassion. It ripped her apart from her family years and years ago when they'd left the prison, and did it all over again in Alexandria. A herd of walkers so massive it could take down a whole city. It was incredibly rare to see such a group of walkers, but it didn't take long for her to learn that anything was possible in this world, and if the universe wanted to see you suffer, it would. It would hand you a glimpse of hope on a pristine silver platter and then devour it right in front of your eyes.

It had been four years since Vada had seen the gates of Alexandria. Four years since she'd seen her father, brother, all the people she'd grown to love. Five years since she'd seen Negan.

She thought about him, a lot. She wondered if he was still out there somewhere fighting for his life. He was never one to give up, she knew that for sure. If he was gone, it wasn't on his own terms. The thought made her stomach churn.

She had to admit, though, the consuming thoughts of Negan and his wellbeing lessened every year she survived. She had four people to worry about now, and that number could change as quickly as she lost the rest of her family. Vincent, Emma, Carl, and Judith.

Her brother Carl had died in Alexandria from a walker bite. Vada and her father kneeled hand in hand and wept together. She had never felt such fervent sadness and anger than that day, except for maybe the day she'd lost her father. She ruminated over how cruel the world was for years afterwards for taking such an innocent, selfless life. She wondered the same about her dad, who had been taken down in the herd. She asked herself why. Why her family. The attack came from behind, unexpected. He'd had his guard down, watching his little girl's back, putting a bullet into the walker that lunged itself at Judith. What he failed to realize, was nobody had his. Half a second later a chunk of his neck was gone. Just like that.