||Sir||

I fiddled with my fingers self-consciously as I sat on the edge of Azrael's bed.

He told me to wait while he took a quick shower, and while I was a bit hesitant to be left alone, I listened.

I couldn't help but feel a bit fidgety after all that's happened. Or maybe clingy was the right word.

My daemon had shown up, he came for me. But did he know about his father's plans? That I was to be taken from him and given to his brother? Like some kind of hand-me-down or a pair of shoes from one of those second-hand shops in town.

I bit my lip at my thoughts.

Ronan.

He was barely recognizable when we'd left. Thick, black liquid coated his skin; it clung to him and dripped slowly like a faucet leaking pure, obsidian molasses.

The colour of his blood threw me off, although it was quite obvious given my demeanour, that everything in that moment did.

I didn't know what to make of the father, the King. I was never one to point fingers but in all honesty, this was his fault.

Why would he agree to Prince Ronan's requests knowing all the while that I was mated to his eldest? Was this some kind of twisted game that brought him a sense of satisfaction? A test?

And mama.

She must be overcome with worry.

Hopefully Elder Amis was with her, comforting her as the flowers did me. As my mate had settled me.

My head snapped to the right at the sound of the bathroom door opening. Immediately, my thoughts dissipated; the winding carousel of my mind slowed at the sight of him, the tension that was wound tightly around my muscles started to unravel like thread.

His earthy, heady scent encircled me like wisps of wind that tousled my hair and tickled the tip of my nose.

I smiled at him, albeit shyly, before my eyes travelled down his naked torso and a lewd heat spread throughout my body.

Fine droplets encased his tanned skin, travelling down the sinews of his muscles and tracing every ridge and hardened line. The water coated him in a glossy sheen, accentuating his already impressive physique and taunting me as it mirrored every ripple and movement he made.

I bit my lip as I watched the carefully crafted rain drops disappear beneath the towel that was wrapped oh so precariously around his narrow waist.

It was only when I heard a low guttural growl, that my eyes snapped up to meet gorgeous embers that looked just about ready to catch aflame.

I had been caught.

"I-I'm sorry, I-I..." I trailed off as he started to approach me; his steps were slow and predatory, a truly primitive gait.

I was his prey, sitting vulnerably on silken sheets; decorated in glitter and scented with roses I was a perfect meal for him. I squeezed my thighs together at the sensual throb that arose at the thought of being devoured—devoured by him.

His lips twitched up in a smirk at my action, my flustered state appearing to amuse him in some way.

He was right in front of me now, broad chest and shoulders in line with my face. I had to tilt my head up to get a good look at him.

"Such a naughty look for my little faerie."

I gaped up at him, my cheeks hot and my body just the same.

I didn't know what to say.

He smiled at my silence, leaning down towards me so that I was forced to lie back on the buttery sheets.