Chapter 31 - Affair?

"You really didn't know about this?" Asher asked as he led the way.

"No." The beast replied, struggling through the narrow passage, head down and body crouched.

"So you probably don't know what they were used for then..."

"My guess is they were meant for servants to more easily get from one end of the castle to another."

"You think so?" Asher asked, finally stopping. "Then what's this for?"

The beast looked over the servant's shoulder and noticed the strange hidden room with the painted glass window. He tilted his head curiously, and Asher moved out of the way so he could enter.

The beast stood as tall as he could and looked around. "I'm not sure."

The servant wandered onto the carpet and sat down. While the room had obviously not been in use, there wasn't a speck of dust, and he suspected that was thanks to the castle's magic.

Leon remained standing. "So is this what you wanted to show me?"

"I didn't actually want to show you anything. I mostly just wanted to talk, but you know...If Elise popped in then I wouldn't get much time to do that. And it's been a few days since we last got to do anything together."

Now the beast seemed downcast as he finally stepped closer and sat down. "I'm sorry. She seems to get defensive when you're around for some reason. And we don't know when the witch will return so I thought the more time I spent trying to make her happy, the faster she'll..."

"Fall in love?" Asher finished for him.

The creature nodded with eyes averted.

The servant sighed, already knowing this but still feeling upset about it. "Do you love her? Or does that matter for the curse?"

"I think it does, but I don't know if I love her yet. I've known her for a long time, but the only times she ever came around was when my mother invited her over. I used to think she was just my mother's friend back then. I asked her why she rarely tried spending time with me before when Ebony wasn't around, but it would seem that my father was also making sure none of my suiters could get to me easily. I'm beginning to think my parents may have been fighting behind my back about it..."

"But you do think she can break the curse, right?"

The beast sighed. "I don't know. I hope she can, but..."

Asher had a feeling Leon could sense that the woman was only interested in power, and unfortunately, power didn't lead to love.

He watched the beast stare at the ground sadly. He looked like he was on the verge of giving up on everything if this didn't work. Asher truly wished there was more he could do to help...

"Do you know if there might be any sort of loophole?" He wondered. "You said that you needed to get married, and that they had to love you. You're not sure if you have to love them too, but let's say you do. What if it's platonic love? Are there any women who you were close friends? Like a maid, another princess, or a family friend?"

"Ebony and my father made sure I never had the chance to get close to any women."

"But what about at tea parties? Or during holidays? Is there really no one you can think of that you could say that you loved as a close friend, who would agree to marry you just to break the curse?"

This time the beast's eyes flicked over to the servant and he did not turn away. Asher waited for an answer, but the beast shook his head. "No one I could legally marry."