𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈: Bury a Friend

┍━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┑

BURY A FRIEND

┕━━━━ ⋆。˚☽˚。⋆ ━━━━┙

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

          "HEY, DAD, can I borrow your gun?"

Noah, whose in the middle of conversation with Sergeant Miller on the port side of the perimeter, turns to his daughter. He eyes her suspiciously for a very long moment and she starts to think Great, now I'm gonna get yelled at, but then he relaxes.

"I feel like I should have some reservations about this, but you're a good kid," he starts. He shifts his rifle and Lyra reaches out for it, only for him to jerk defensively. "No, the big one's mine. You get the small one."

Sergeant Miller watches incredulously as her dad hands her his handgun.

Lyra takes it in clammy hands. Although she has absolutely zero faith in her ability to fire it, having it locked in her palms is more than reassuring. A flimsy shield.

But it feels like an anchor in her hands.

"Atta girl," says Noah, giving her a reassuring pat on the back. "Try not to kill anyone."

     Lyra starts to walk away.

    "Wait!"

     She turns around very fast, almost gratefully. At least he's finally found his rationality, realized giving his seventeen year old criminal daughter is probably not, like, the best idea he's ever had ━━

    "You should take this knife, too."

     It's more of a dagger, really, with a thick hilt and a small, jagged blade. It flashes silver in the pale sun as she takes it uneasily. She stuffs the knife into her her violet-grey backpack, the one from Mount Weather, which is currently pretty light because she's dumped all her books in the labs. She wishes she could shove the gun to the very bottom but even she's not that much of an idiot.

     "Where did you get a knife like that?" Sergeant Miller demands.

     He shrugs. "The Grounders. I met the Commander, Y'know. She's really a lovey girl. I love her bloodthirsty tendencies."

"Um, OK," says Lyra. "I'm gonna go now."

"Have fun!" Noah chuckles as he watches her weave through the crowd of Ark personnel. "Ah, kids these days."