This Ain't Love ~ Tony Stark

A/N ~ I'm going to try this new thing. I'm going to take song lyrics (they're going to be varied) and make them into a story. They may be letters, thoughts, monologues, and anything else I can think of. Unless stated in the author's note, every song will be clean. It will be in the third person unless stated here or in the text/chapter. Videos of the songs (w/ lyrics) will be posted on the top. I recommend listening, but no pressure. Since many tunes have choruses, I will only use refrains two or three times. This has been an author's note.

Wait, I just realized something! This happens 10 years before Iron Man 1, making Tony 28. You're 25. Just letting you know. Now I can say: "This has been an author's note."

Warning: Light cursing, mentions of past intercourse. Don't read if you aren't comfortable.

Tony's POV

'This ain't love.'

I never understood the game of love. I'm awkward when I try to play it. It's become a string of sleeping with girls for so long. I'm afraid to get in too deep with everything. 

After Pepper, I've been too sensitive to have a good night out, to have a good time. My heart's been a void since she left. I never knew why she left.

I got impatient, waiting for the right girl to come along. So I banished the angel on my shoulder, saying. "Go home because I won't need you tonight."

A girl came over to the bar. I grabbed her waist and pulled her closer in so tight, using my signature moves. She was another cheap one-night stand.

Now we're faking sleep here on a sofa. I do this all of the time. One thing's running over and over in my mind;

'This ain't love. I may have fooled myself again. This ain't love. I've always been too sensitive to have a good night, to have a good time because my heart can't handle it. If it ain't love, if this ain't love.'

I never understood the game. I care too much about my reputation as a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist. You know it's just how I was made, but I'm tired of trying to explain it to every chick who comes along. 

Another night, another girl. I grabbed her waist and pulled her closer in so tight. These relationships are shallow, but I suppose that's the point. To escape. To leave my broken heart locked away.

We're faking sleep on her pull-out couch like this is a common occurrence. One thing's running over and over in my mind;

'This ain't love. I may have fooled myself again. This ain't love. I've always been too sensitive to have a good night, to have a good time because my heart can't handle it. If it ain't love, if this ain't love.' 

I could try to change things this time. Sleep became the last thing on my mind. 

"Jarvis, call Honey Bear."

"Calling Rhodey," the voice chirped back.

~~

3rd Person POV

"How the hell am I supposed to help you not be you?" Rhodes asks incredulously. 

"What would a person that isn't me do, Sourpatch?"

"Leave a note."

"That's a good starting point. What do I write?"

"Just leave a name, number, and a clean STI and STD panel." The girl woke up, eyeing the man wearily. Her response was sarcastic and dry.