027

on the lars homestead...

"This is where you grew up?"

As they approached the Lars homestead, Avery's eyes widened in wonder. He assumed it was because she had never seen anything quite like it. The architecture she had been surrounded by on Earth was not at all similar to his childhood home. While she had stayed in Ben's house for some time, the two properties were still considerably different, especially in structure. Not much could be seen from the distance they were currently at, save for the underwhelming hut standing alone, cursed to spend its lifetime in the remoteness of the Jundland Wastes.

When he had put the speeder in park, he offered her his hand. She stepped out of the vehicle and stood beside of him, squinting at the brightness of the suns, which they were now facing.

"It's different," was all she said.

He chuckled at that, causing irritation to seep into her expression. Before she could snap at him, he told her he'd show her around.

He had been expecting the look of surprise on her face after she'd seen the actual living space.

"A lot of this is outside. What do you do if it rains?"

"It doesn't."

"Ever?"

"Nope."

"Huh. Well, shit."

"We do get sandstorms, but even then, the most that the interior suffers is just the random debris that the wind blows inside. It's not like we've ever been able to keep the sand out, even if the weather is calm."

"I guess that makes sense. And you wouldn't really be hanging out in this area, right? I see a lot of doors."

"Yeah, that's right. This is mainly just used as a giant hallway."

"And for sunlight. Vitamin D is important."

"Uncle Owen made sure I saw plenty of sunlight while I was farming. You eventually get sick of it."

"That sounds awful. I'd hate to be a farmer."

"I'm sure you would."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"What? I was just agreeing with you."

"Your tone suggests that the things I do are indicators of not wanting to be a farmer."

"You're reading too much into this."

"I want to know what you think of me."

"It's pretty clear what I think of you, isn't it? But fine, I'll humor you. Farming is dirty. You like things to be clean."

"Oh," she mumbled, "Okay, that's fair. I agree."

"We never disagreed in the first place, Avery. We're saying the same thing."