Chapter 1

"Welcome to RCHS 'Republic City High School'" the lady at the desk spoke to me "How can I help you madam?"

"well I was wondering if I can get my schedule" I said shyly. This was new to me, I was home schooled my whole life and now I'm here, at a real high school.

"Oh yes of course dear" she smiled as she went to her computer "may I get your first and last name"

"Asami Sato" I answered watching the woman's face changed. She was in shock and I already knew why

"Sato? Like Hiroshi Sato?" I gave her a nod "I didn't know he had a daughter"

That's right, my father kept me a secret from the public for my safety, ever since what happened to my mother he kept me hidden. "Yea safety purposes" I let out a chuckle. But now I'm 18 and he finally let me make my own decisions

"Why yes of course, if I was a public figure I would surely do the same with my children" she smiled at me as she handed me a sheet of paper "just follow this and I'm sure you'll be just fine, if you need help with anything don't be afraid to tell me, my names Pema I'm basically everyone's 'Mother' here" she chuckled.

I thanked her and left the office, I headed to my locker first to put somethings away.

"No bending in the building!" A woman with grey hair and a scar on her face yelled at the kids who were fire bending with their fingers.

"Yes principle Beifong" they spoke in scared voices

I never seen bending up close before, only on TV when I watched the pro-bending tournaments. And no I'm not a bender, no one in my family is a bender but I always admire the bending art.

I heard my phone buzz, I looked at the text message from my father.

Dad: I'll have an escort pick you up after school, I don't want you going anywhere after school, you are coming straight home

Of course he will, I rolled my eyes. I can tell he's still shaken up after he lost my mother. A group of 4 benders broke in the house while my father was away at a meeting, they took everything from us so I understand why he kept me lock up at home. This gang is now the number one dangerous gang, before it use to be the triple threats but things change.

Dad: be safe

Me: always😁

"Hey new girl" I heard a girl call me, I put my phone inside my pocket of my skirt and turned to face the girl. She was short and had green eyes, her hair was black and was really short, she had a very pretty smile. "I'm Opal" she offered me her hand

I took her offered hand into mine "My name's Asami"

"Well it's very nice to meet you Asami, since you're new to this school I'll be your guide" she smiled innocently

I raised my eyebrow "were you assigned to me?" I asked, I didn't know schools did that, why didn't Pema tell me

"Nope" she giggled at my confusion "I'm just this big social butterfly and you look like you can use a friend"

"Oh ok, thanks" I gave her a smile, maybe I can make it here.

She looked at my schedule and turns out we had some classes together. She showed me around the place before we went to our first class, which we had together, English.

We walked in and the class was hectic, teens were having a 'snowball' fight with crunch up papers, paper air planes flew across the room and then there were kids who just sat there waiting for the teacher.

"Come sit by us" Opal said dragging me to a table with three other boys, I sat down next Opal as she introduced them to me "Guys meet Asami, she's new" they waved at me "this is my boyfriend, Bolin" she pointed to the guy seating next to her, he also had green eye and black hair, he was short but taller than Opal, he seemed very sweet. "He's Mako also Bolin's older brother" she pointed to a tall man with black hair and golden eyes, he seemed like a scary guy you don't want to walk up to but you can tell he's a nice man. "And that's Wu, Mako's boyfriend" she pointed to a boy who was completely opposite of Mako, he had brown hair, tanned skin and green eyes, he seemed very friendly and a happy person.