Nine

A few weeks later the boy is being led down a long hallway.

"It's been three weeks. You said you'd show me where my brother is." The boy reminds the man who'd kidnapped him.

"And we shall. Once he's old enough to join you." The man responds.

"You promise?" The boy asks.

"If he survives the procedure, I promise we'll transfer him to the same training grounds that you're going to.

"What are you going to do with me?" The boy asks, not fully understanding the big words the man used.

"You'll see." The man says as an automated door opens in front of him.

Inside the room the boy spots a large dentist chair with tubes running into the floor. On one side of the all white room is a massive mirror, spanning the length of the wall.

"Please, get in." The man says to the boy.

"I'm scared of dentists." The boy says as the man lifts him into the chair.

"Then it's a good thing that this isn't a dentist appointment." The man replies.

Both scared and curious the boy watches as the man straps him in. He then winces as the man jabs him with a few needles.

"Start the operation." The man says, stepping back.

Mildly worried, the boy watches as glowing red fluid travels up the tubes and into his arms through the needles.

Suddenly it feels as if his veins are on fire, as they start to glow a dark red that's clearly visible through his skin.

The boy's back arches in pain as tears stream from his rolled back eyes. His screams of agony fill the room, even after his voice becomes hoarse. Then, without warning, everything goes black and the boy loses consciousness.

When he wakes up, he's in a hospital bed surrounded by doctors and nurses.

They notify the man that he's awake. When the man arrives he smiles at the boy.

"You did good kid. You'll be moving out now." The man says to the boy.

And that's exactly what happened. After weeks of tests the boy was put into a military jeep and taken to an airstrip where they put him on a plane with about a hundred other kids his age. Both human and Fur. They were put on the plane with nothing but a bottle of water and a single blanket each. They didn't even have seats.

They were too scared to talk to each other but, at some point after a few hours had passed, one of the human boys approached him.

"Hey. What's your name?" The strange boy asks.

"I'm.... I can't remember." The boy replies, finding it impossible to remember his own name.

"That's what I thought. The others can't remember either. I think they took our names from us." The strange boy explains.

"Why would they do that?" The boy asks.

"Isn't it obvious. They want to control us. They'll give us numbers and make us fight for them." The strange boy responds.

"What will they make us fight?" The boy asks.

"Probably aliens or something." The strange boy says, confidently.

It's at that moment that a white wolf girl approaches them.

"Why would they make us fight aliens? Doesn't the army fight those?" She asks the strange boy.

The boy looks very serious as he thinks about what she had asked him.

"Maybe it's because of transpakrencee." The strange boy says.

"Isn't it transparency?" The girl asks, correcting him.

"That's what I said. Anyway, my dad said that the army can't do whatever they want because they are not allowed to do anything secretly. So sometimes they use other people to fight in secret. So, we'll fight aliens in secret." The strange boy states, now with more confidence.

"You sound happy to be here." The boy tells the strange boy.

"I am. Some of the things they make us do hurts but I don't mind. My dad told me that I'd help these people fight bad guys and that I'd be able to keep my mom and sister safe." The strange boy explains with a smile on his face.

The boy can't help but sense sadness in that smile.

"What about you?" The girl asks, looking at the boy.

"Oh. I'm an orphan. They took me in after my parents died." The boy lies. He doesn't want to talk about what really happened to his parents.

"And you?" The boys ask the girl.

"My parents sold me to them. I was becoming a burden on them so these people offered to buy me and my parents accepted." The girl explains.

The boys remain silent. The boy is about to say something when the plane rocks.

"We're landing." The strange boy comments.

The tree of them look at one another, worried at what might lay in their future. One, excited at the prospect at fighting strange creatures, another worried as to if he'll see his brother again. And the third, not showing her emotions or her thoughts on the situation.