✦ Nine

Third Person POV

While Mando went to recruit Cara for their cause, y/n called on the two locals to help her pile weapons on their speeder. He returned quickly with an impassive Cara in tow, and they began their journey to the village in the middle of nowhere. 

Y/n and company stretched out on the speeder, trying to fall asleep comfortably on stacked boxes and crates. Within a few minutes, Cara's soft snores resonated, making sleep difficult for both y/n and the Mandalorian. Y/n sighed softly, looking up at the stars and passing clouds. 

Eventually, the low hum of the speeder and chirping of crickets lulled her to sleep, causing her not to notice when her head lightly bumped against a Beskar-covered shoulder.

At the soft thump against his pauldron, Mando stiffened and glanced sideways to where y/n lay. He noticed her deep breathing and concluded that she was asleep. Shifting slightly so she would be more comfortable, Mando resigned himself to not moving unless absolutely necessary in order for y/n to stay asleep. Y/n needs her rest, he told himself. Nothing else to it.

Y/n's POV

Explosions, metal, fire. 

Fire all around. Panic-stricken, I look around only to be met with an eerily familiar scene. 

I'm seven years old again, being picked up by my father as my mother frantically gestures us forward. They are wearing their silver Mandalorian helmets, which is how I know the situation around me is serious. I reach out towards my brown-eyed best friend's retreating figure as he reciprocates, but we know we have to leave immediately - no time for goodbyes.

Droids.

Droids shooting mercilessly at the defenseless inhabitants of Aq Ventina, our village. Our home. My mother begins to run forward as my father does the same, cradling my head to protect me from the oncoming blasts. I bury my head in his shoulder, trying to pretend that the blasts were fireworks, that the people screaming were actually cheering.

Eventually, my parents stop running. I peek my head out from my father's shoulder, confused as to why we weren't continuing to make our escape. He puts me down gently, looking over his shoulder as my mother pulls out a blaster and begins to shoot at the droids. 

"Listen y/n, I want you to hide here." He gestures to a tall stack of boxes that I could easily fit behind.

"Hide?" I whisper.

"Yes. Whatever happens, remember that ni kar'taayl gar darasuum, okay? And so does your mother. Take this." He presses a silver pendant on a string into my hands, and I instantly recognize it as a Mythosaur. "If you ever need help from another Mandalorian, show them this, alright?"

"Okay."

"Everything will be fine, I promise. Now go and hide, ad'ika." 

"Ni kar'tayl gar darasuum, ner buir." Suppressing tears, I scurry behind the crates and peek out from behind them, allowing me to see what was happening without being seen. 

My mother and father shoot at the droids repeatedly, but they keep coming, firing ruthlessly, cornering my family. I stifle a whimper as I watch them fall to the ground, hand in hand for the last time.

The droids swivel their heads around, looking for their next targets. One looks right at me, its cold eyes boring right into my soul. Too late, I duck back behind the crates. I hear the thump of metal as the droid moves over to me, blaster raised and ready to shoot.