Chapter 33

Rachel’s POV

Tuesday August 5 2014

3 days have passed since that situation with Paul basically asking me to sleep with him for a promotion, and I havent told Alex yet. I’m kind of scared of him taking it too far and hurting Paul, that my job would be at risk. Alex has accompanied me to the studio every day though so I was hoping if Paul saw us together, he’d back off, but he was no where to be found! He seemed to only be around whenever Alex and I weren't together for a moment and would give me a sly grin, which I shuddered at every single time.

Well, back to the grind today..

———————

Alex’s POV

These past couple of days I felt like a spy with a double life. Around Rachel, I’d act perfectly normal, just as we would be all the time. But when I would leave the recording room, I’d be suspicious of every single man I saw. 

Just yesterday one of the guys from the band she's still working with, complimented her A Day To Remember shirt, and I thought I was gonna snap. When he said it “fit well” on her, I think even Rachel saw the anger in my eyes.

And then later on that day, Rachel had gotten a package with new equipment to use and had to sign for it. Well good thing I accompanied her to get the package from the lobby because the mailman was certainly being friendly with her. He was young, probably around my age, and was joking with Rachel the entire time. I clenched my jaw so hard I thought my head was gonna explode.

Tomorrow’s the final day she's working with Blood Of Escaping and if that greasy little sicko from the band tries to hit on her, I promise that he wont be leaving there without a black eye or a split lip.

—————

*the next day*

“Thanks so much Rachel for helping us with our songs, we cant wait to hear the final versions!” that guy, Jeff, told Rachel as the band was packing up their instruments and equipment. I just sat on the couch at the back of the room on my phone while they talked. I was expecting Jeff to make a move on her while I was occupied and not watching them, but I kept my ears on the conversation. They were mostly talking about the costs of recording and when they’ll get the final edited songs, until I heard someone clear their throat. I looked up momentarily to see that 3 of the members had already left the room, leaving Jeff and the drummer, Dave, talking to Rachel. I looked back down at my phone, texting Zack about Game Of Thrones, still listening in.

“So we’re throwing a party at Dave’s house tomorrow night celebrating our new album. You know, drinks, smokes, all that stuff. If you wanna come on over, here’s the address.” Jeff said to Rachel. I looked up again to see him giving her a piece of paper.

Dave piped in, “yeah, if you want to come that would be awesome, but dont feel like you have to.”

Then I saw something that made my blood boil. It boiled to the max. Jeff leaned over to Rachel’s ear, and I clearly heard him say, “but it would be real nice if you showed up…on your own.”

It’s as if Rachel knew that I heard because she immediately looked at me with an uneasy expression, and I stood up and walked over to them so fast to give this guy a piece of my mind.

“Hey man. Thats my girlfriend you’re talking to and dont even pretend you said something else because her and I heard that crystal clear.” Without realizing, as I was talking I had wrapped an arm around her waist and held her tight. Hm, habit.

“Dude I was just inviting her to the party!” he retorted.

“Oh please Jeff!” Rachel butted in before I could reply, but she sounded just as pissed as I did, so I let her roll with it, “I’ve noticed that the past few days that you’ve been “extra friendly” to me, but I decided not to say anything because I’m supposed to be professional, but now that we’re finished, I’m gonna speak up. The fact that you’re hitting on me when you know that I have a boyfriend and he’s right here in the room shows that you dont respect him, nor me. I’m not interested, I am just here to record the album, give the final copies to you, and that’s it.”

“Well, I mean,” Jeff seemed a little nervous at this point, “if you guys ever,” he leaned over to her ear again and whispered, “break up” then returned to his standing position, “you can give me a call.”

I stepped right in front of him and looked him dead in the eyes, “I’m giving you 10 seconds to leave this room and never contact Rachel ever again, or so help me I’ll punch you right now.”

It was like I was a kettle that was ready and started screaming, because the fear in his eyes could be seen from miles away.

“Alright. I’m gone!” He lifted his arms in defeat and pushed past me, Dave following him, and closing the door.

“Oh thank god you were here” Rachel said in relief and hugged me tight.

I returned the hug, happy that in fact, I was here while that happened so we could set that guy straight.

“Come, let me buy you a slushy from the 7-eleven down the street” I said to her as she nodded and led me out of the room.

As we walked hand in hand through the building, Blood Of Escaping was still in the lobby gathering their things and talking amongst themselves. I saw Jeff look up at us, more specifically look at Rachel, and then instantly look away.

“Rachel! Hey!” the front door opened to reveal the mailman holding a package, probably for Rachel again.

Jeff took action right away, “dude, go away! He’s fucking nuts!” he pointed to Rachel and I who had stopped dead in our tracks and just stared at what was happening.

The mailman looked at us and then saw our hands together, and my other hand clenched so tight in a fist. I think I even felt some skin on my knuckle crack.

“Oh. I, uh. I’m just. I’m just gonna leave this here for you then. Have a good day!” He was flustered and set the box down on the reception counter, then raced out the door.

Rachel led me past the band and out the door. A proud look on her face as she did so.

“Sheesh, I didn't realize I was that intimidating. I wish I did that more in high school!” I said as she laughed along with me, “It seems like everything’s back to normal…”

—————

Wednesday August 6 2014

Oh how I wish when he said that everything was back to normal he was right. Well, maybe for him it was, but not for me. I still have to deal with Paul at work. And Alex’s going to be working at the record store by Jack’s house in Towson for a while to make some extra cash.

I’m sure glad we both decided to speak up to Jeff today to get him out of the picture, now somehow I’ve got to get Paul off my back, but he seems more persistent.

Alex is staying the night at my house so I’m just going to enjoy my time with him. Paul isn't even close to the guy that I want. The guy that I want is staying over tonight and currently making me and him some sundaes in my kitchen right now. And his name is Alex.