Chapter 34

Friday August 8 2014

A few days have passed by, and I’ve been seeing Paul more lately. It doesn't really help that Alex hasn't been with me at work, so I’ve had to stay strong by myself. He still doesn't know about what Paul said to me that day, and all the devilish grins he's been giving me whenever we pass each other at work.

——————

I sat in the small studio at work, letting the day pass by me. I barely did anything today, I just wanted to be at home curled up in bed and reading a good book. Paul had peaked his head inside the door a few minutes ago to say ‘hey’ to me, but did it in the most uncomfortable way possible. I shudder every time I see or think about him and the fact that he’s in such close proximity to me while we’re both working. I felt the table shake for a second from the vibration of my phone receiving a text.

Hey babe! Wanna go out for dinner tonight? I can pick you up when you’re finished if you want <3

I smiled at my phone at Alex’s text. A nice night out having dinner with him would be just perfect.

Dinner would be great, Alex. Nothing too fancy though, I’m in my casual clothes still. Pick me up at 6?  I replied to his offer, and I quickly got a reply back.

Awesome, I was thinking of checking out that new bar & grill restaurant by Rian’s house. I’ll see you at 6 then

I looked at the clock on the wall. It was just after 3:00, so I had quite a bit more time here at work…might as well get cracking on my work again. Maybe it’ll make the time pass faster.

—————

Hm, time did seem to pass by quite speedy because it was 5:45 now, which meant Alex would be here soon. I grabbed my purse and searched through it looking for my travel sized toothbrush and toothpaste. Yeah, yeah, call me a hygienic freak if you want, but I had a meatball sandwich for lunch, and had a feeling that my breath stank of it still. I walked to the bathroom down the hall and brushed my teeth.

While I was in there, I saw the door open while I was looking at the mirror and saw Emma come inside.

“Oh hey Rachel” she said as she walked in, closing the door behind her.

“Mmph hi Emma” I mumbled out, still with the toothbrush in my mouth.

Emma leaned on the counter beside me and talked to me looking through the mirror, “Hey Paul was just in the lobby asking if I saw you. Should I just tell him that you’ll find him later for whatever he needs to talk to you about?”

I hadn't told Emma about the whole situation with him yet. I didn't tell anybody. So I just replied “sure” as I spit out my toothpaste and rinsed my brush.

My cell phone was on the counter beside the sink, and vibrated once again. I told Emma to read me who it was from and what it said.

She grabbed my phone and read it aloud to me, “Oh! It’s from Aleeex! It says ‘I booked a table for us. Theres a bit of traffic so might get there a bit past 6:00.’”

I told Emma to just reply to him ‘okay see you soon’ but of course she sent him ‘okay see you soon you fine piece of ass xox’ before I could snatch the phone from her and change it.

We both left the bathroom and she yelled out “have fun tonight!” to me as she went back to the reception desk and I went back to the small studio.