xxxv. meet me in the afterglow

"Was I right?" Benjy asked, a smug grin already on his face when she came out of his fireplace

"Yes." Aurora grinned at him, picking Charlie up from where he was darting around her feet as she sat down on the sofa with him in her lap.

"You don't look like you're here to kill me though..." He said cautiously.

Aurora started stroking the dog behind his ear, smiling fondly. "Well, the original plan was the next time I saw you I would gut you..."

"But?" Did she imagine the hope in his voice?

"Then I kissed him—or, well, he kissed me."

Benjy whooped so loudly she thought that the neighbours would come over and bang on his door to scold him for it.

At Aurora's glare he quieted down and sat next to her, stroking the top of Charlie's head. "How long did it take you?"

"A couple of hours after you had left—,"

"Let me guess, you freaked out and avoided him for a few days?" She glared at him again.

"I hate you."

But Benjy only grinned again, this time so wide she thought it might split his face in two. "Carry on, I'm intrigued."

"I'm sure you are." Aurora said dryly.

The man beside her feigned betrayal, smacking a hand over his heart. "I care deeply about your love life, I'll have you know."

Aurora couldn't help the snort that escaped, only causing Benjy to increase his dramatics. "Let's talk about your love life. Have you got a date for the wedding yet?"

"Invitations go out some time next week." He nodded, the excitement clear on his face. "Oh! I almost forgot to ask. Be my best woman?"

"It's about time you asked that, you idiot." She said, smacking a pillow at him lightly.

"That's a yes?" He asked, puppy eyes already on her.

Aurora sighed. She really didn't like it when he used the puppy eyes. "Of course it's a yes."

Without warning, Benjy shot out of his seat and tackled her into a hug, only remembering there was a dog on her lap after. She watched with great amusement as he tried to apologise to Charlie, promising all the dog treats and toys in the world.

"Gimme the dog." Aurora made grabby hands at Benjy until Charlie was back in her arms.

"I feel like you're just using me for my dog." He pouted.

"Of course I am." She grinned at him. "But I guess you're alright too."

"Alright? I am magnificent, a blessing to be around, a gift from the gods—,"

"Shut up Benjy." Aurora said, hitting him with the pillow again in time with each word.

"I should really find a new friend." He held the arm in the place she hit, the pout coming back on to his face. "Maybe one that doesn't hit a pillow as hard."

"You would miss it."

"What I miss is having a functional arm." Benjy looked at her with a mournful expression, trying to get sympathy out of her, but Aurora just laughed. "Anyway," He said loudly so she could hear him over her own laughter. "Why are you over here when you could be with Remus right now?"

"Ugh." She groaned, leaning further back into the sofa. "The others came back from work a few hours ago, and I need to ask you a question."

"What is it?"

"Be my man of honour?" At Benjy's wide grin she knew another tackle was about to come, so she quickly put the dog on the floor before he became a pancake.

They pulled away after a few minutes of Benjy nearly squeezing her to death. "I should probably get going."

Aurora stood up, but before flooing back to the Potters' she gave Benjy a brief hug. "Say hi to Caradoc for me."

Once she was back she saw the others in the kitchen, most likely about to eat dinner. Everyone was already seated at the dinner table, plates already full, so she quickly sat down in the empty chair next to Peter that she assumed was meant for her anyway,

"Hi Rory," Lois smiled at her from the opposite side of the table. "How was Benjy?"

"He's good." She replied, her eyes darting around the table to find Remus, smiling sheepishly at him once she saw he was already looking at her. "Are you getting better at cards?" She asked Peter, curious to find out how he's been getting on.

Peter beamed at her, as if he was grateful that she even remembered. "I'm practicing with Emmeline. She's much better than I am, but I'm learning."

"And how are you, Emmeline?" Aurora picked up her fork and started eating.

"I'm great, only have a few more weddings left to go now." Aurora's eyes subconsciously flicked over to Remus, watching as he talked with Regulus about something she couldn't hear.

"I imagine you've been to a lot?"

Emmeline nodded and started to tell her about the range of weddings she had been to, embarrassing ones, boring ones and hilarious ones. Aurora found herself laughing a few times at her stories.

Soon, dinner was finished and Aurora volunteered to clean up, allowing everyone else to talk in the lounge. The only other person who stayed behind was Remus.

"Hi." She smiled softly at him, picking some of the plates up and bringing them to the island table, scraping the remains onto one plate.

"Hi." He echoed back to her, helping bring the plates up to her.

Aurora rolled her eyes and playfully shoved him from his shoulder, causing him to step back slightly. "Hi." She mocked, a teasing glint in her eyes.

"I don't really...know what else to say." Remus laughed nervously.

"No need to get all nervous for me." Aurora's smile turned into a grin as she continued to tease him. She picked up the now empty plates and brought them over to the sink, allowing it to fill up with warm water.

"You always make me nervous." He replied honestly, walking to stand beside her.

She looked up at him, brows furrowing in confusion. "Why?"

"Because I really like you, if that wasn't completely obvious."

"Well," Aurora said, the crease between her eyebrows smoothing out. "I guess it's a good thing I really like you too." She nudged him lightly, the grin back on her face as she turned the tap off and put some washing up liquid in.

AN:
i'm so sorry for how long this took. every time i started writing it, i either did not like it or i couldn't think of anything, so i'm sorry about making you all wait so long.

this was not reread after the first 100 words but what else did i expect from myself

i also binge read the entire grishaverse books so that could be a factor as well — definitely recommend these!! especially with the show coming out in a week!!!!

fuck, marry, kill: hermione, fred, ron