Honey and Sex

Her mothers pack had already eaten dinner upon their arrival. The food through the pass had been slim but Neira was sure they could wait till morning to stuff their gullets. Well Shade and River could. Her not so much.

Lumi had shown Shade and River to a cabin up the path, it was small but enough for the two of them. Neira didn't like the idea of sleeping away from them but she couldn't quite inform her mother that these two baboons were now her safety blanket. Besides, Shade's scent from the other night had bee blown away by the vicious wind in the pass. Now she just smelled like a mixture of the two, pack. Neira knew her mother wouldn't allow her daughter to sleep with males who were not her mate.

Even if she was a fucking adult.

It made Neira angry. She wasn't a child any longer but she was just too tired to argue. Tomorrow, she would deal with it tomorrow.

Her own visitors cabin was just as she remembered. A little carbon copy of the one Shade and River were probably already passed out in. No bathroom, but a wash basin and beautiful log rails. There was a single window at the back of the cabin to let in light, but Neira new that any more windows would just let in too much cold. It made the wall of windows back in Shades cabin come to the forefront of her mind. She missed it.

She'd filled the wood stove before crawling into bed but it did nothing to keep away the chill as she trashed and rolled in the thick duvet. Neira lay awake for hours before finally bundling back up in the fur coat her mother had lent her and stepping out into the icy wind.

She could have walked this path in the dark. She'd memorized it as a child when her and Elias would run up and down the paths as teenagers. It was funny that, being back in the area, the frozen tundra, had made her think about the lost king of the south.

Shadow walked along side her, his form flickering in the wind. What are you doing exactly?

"I can't sleep," Neira whispered. "I need my pack."

You pack? Shadows words were rushed, coming out like a different whip to the wind.

"Yes," Neira snapped in retort. "My pack. If they will have me."

And if they won't?

Neira was quiet for a long moment, the only sound the crunching of snow under her feet. "I don't want to think about that."

Why do you even want them as your pack anyways? Did you forget about your mate?

Neira let out a low growl as Judd's copper eyes flashed behind her lids. His face perfectly shaped, strong jaw clenching exactly like it did when he was displeased with her. She didn't say anything further, just stomped up the steps of the cabin like a petulant child. She watched Shadow dissipate from the corner of her eye.

She slipped inside, River's snoring covering any noise she would have made coming into the small cabin. He was passed out on the couch, his bare ass barely hidden by the quilt thrown over his body. And in the corner, the bed sat against the wall. An ebony wolf lay curled in the corner, its eyes closed.

She padded over to it, hoping she wouldn't wake him, and slowly peeled off her sweater and extra layers before sliding under the covers. She rolled, so her gaze faced out at the small cabin instead of the huge wolf at her back.

The mattress dipped and shifted. And then a warm strong hand set itself on her arm. "Can't sleep?" Shade asked, the warmth of his breath curled along her shoulder. She didn't dare roll over. She might see more of him again, and that didn't end so well last time.

Neira shook her head. "It's too quiet in my own head. I missed River's snoring."

She felt Shade's laugh instead of heard it, his chest rising in quick beats. "That makes one of us."  His hand was still on her bare arm, the space between his fingers feeling too cold.