Prologue: The End

So let me warn you again. In case you somehow missed the warning in the description or chose to overlook it. This is only a sample of the book, because it has been published.
If you think you'd like to harass me over it go right on a head but it won't change a thing. The book is published. This is only a sample.
Thank you.
--------------------------------------

"David!" I yelled out to him with excitement as soon as I spotted him sitting on my doorstep. It had been a really long day at school but seeing the face of my mate made me forget all about that.

His head snapped up at the sound of my voice and a smile fell onto his perfect lips. My face flushed as my eyes took in how glorious my mate was. He radiated strength and power, but I guess that made sense since he was going to be the next alpha. He pushed himself up off of the steps and I ran the rest of the way jumping at him and wrapping my arms around him. The feelings of comfort and excitement were immediate the moment we were touching. It had only been a month since we found each other but it had been the best month of my entire life. Nothing compared to the feeling of being with your mate.

His arms wrapped around me and pulled me tighter to his body, "Scar, I missed you." He whispers into my ear. I giggle and nuzzle my face into the crook of his neck, "We've only been apart for a couple of hours silly." He pressed his face into the crook of my neck his hot breath hitting my skin and making me tilt my head more to give him better access. He chuckled against my skin nipping at the spot where I would bear his mark, "Much too long in my opinion." He comments.

I jolted awake in my bed my body covered in a fine sheen of sweat. My heart was pounding in my chest and my nerves felt ultra sensitive. I sighed heavily before I let myself fall back into my mattress. It had been a good two months since I had, had any dreams of him and I had been beginning to think that perhaps I was free from them. How naive of me to think that? I would never be free from them, from him.

It's been two years since that day and I can still feel the ache as if it had happened yesterday.

David looked down at me with a hard and distant expression on his face. I was confused about what was wrong. He had been acting strangely since he had introduced me to his family last week. I wasn't sure what had happened but me and my wolf wanted to give him some kind of comfort. I reached out and grabbed onto his hand giving it a light squeeze, "Don't worry so much or else you'll wrinkle that beautiful face." I joke, "Then I might run off with someone else." He pulls his hand from mine quickly and the hurt that rips through me is immediate. He has never once acted like this towards us, I had thought to my wolf who was also confused by her mates reaction.

It must be the stress over the fact that he was going to be taking on the alpha duties soon I had thought to myself. I came closer to him reaching out to him and gently touching his back he tensed but didn't pull away seeking the comfort only I could give him. I smiled softly at his back, "Whatever is bothering you I'm sure it will be okay David." I encourage him. He slowly pulls out of my touch and turns around to face me looking very tortured, "No Scarlett it won't be okay. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me." He pleads with me. I feel a strange sensation rush through me as if a bunch of tiny knives are poking at my skin.

I take a hesitant step away from him and I can see that he catches the movement. Guilt, hurt and regret rush through his eyes as he looks at me. I swallow hard at the lump trying to form in my throat. He opens his mouth to speak and then closes it again clenching his teeth together tightly. I can feel my tiny body beginning to tremble, "What's going on David? You're scaring me..." I say. He takes a step towards me but then stops himself thinking better of it, "Scarlett...I have to do this—As future Alpha I have to think of the packs needs before my own."

My hands reached up and clenched at the t-shirt covering my chest. I felt like my heart was constricting tightly inside me making it hard for me to breathe, "Please—" I pleaded looking up into his eyes, "Please don't do this David. I'm your mate—" My voice sounds weak as it leaves me. David looks like he wants to take me in his arms and I want him too. I want him to take away the aching that is building inside of me.

"The pack is only as strong as it Alpha, and I need a Luna who is strong enough to lead with me Scar. We both know that you aren't strong enough for that—no matter how much I want you—I have to put the pack before my own needs." He says his voice cracking at the end and I know he's trying hard to hold back his feelings. My wolf is whimpering and so am I, feeling like this is the smallest I ever felt in my life, "I can change—I'm your mate which means I was born to be Luna. Just give me some time David." I say to him.

He shakes his head even though his eyes are saying something completely different. I know his wolf must be trying to keep him for doing what he's trying to do, "I'm so sorry Scar. Please forgive me—someday." He whispers before standing up stiffly. I shook my head back and forth in disbelief, "No..." The word feel from my lips as he spoke the dreaded words.

"I, David Henry Matthews, Reject you Scarlett Rae Hall as my mate and future Luna of this pack."

I felt a searing pain rip through my chest and I fell to my knees unable to stand anymore. I could hear my wolf howling inside me and it ripped through me more painfully then anything I had ever experienced it was as if I was trying to separate myself from myself. I couldn't seem to catch a breath. I grabbed my head in between my hands trying to keep myself from ripping apart a terrible sound was escaping my lips. It was almost a mix of a scream and a sob. I felt my body collapse the rest of the way to the ground curling up into a ball and letting the darkness take me away from the pain.

I felt the familiar ache in my chest rubbing at it with my hand. I let out another sight before pulling myself up out of my bed. There was no way I would be getting anymore sleep tonight.