26.

"The only Heaven I'll be sent to
Is when I'm alone with you"

*

Peace was a bittersweet feeling

Reason being, tranquility was never definite. At any given moment, the world could crumble beneath our feet. Leaving us empty and confused.

I was a realist in an abundance of ways. I always knew not to hold on to a single sliver of happiness I was feeling because instantly, it could be snatched away from you. The realization dawned on me when I was only eight years old.

It was moments when mom and dad were cuddled on the couch together, reminiscing on their childhood while my sister and I sat doe-eyed at their feet, hanging on to every word that exited their red stained lips.

It was blissful and I cherished every second of it, for I knew, even at my young age, that my parents were slowly but surely falling out of love with each other.

I always had my suspicions about them getting a divorce, it was the unfortunate fate that my family had been dealt and I couldn't do anything to fight against it. There were days where I silently begged whichever God was listening, to separate them.  But it never came.

With each growing day I became numb to the sound of mothers favourite antic china hitting the walls, dad yelling at her to control herself.

She never did.

All I could do was sit silently at the top of our unnecessarily long staircase and eavesdrop on all their marital problems. On occasion, I'd hold my sister in my arms, stroking her black hair, wiping away the tears that continuously ran down her doll like face. She was always more sensitive to the topic.

I'd tell her that everything would be okay, and that one day our family would be whole again. Our mother and father were just going through a rough time but they'd be fine.

They were all lies and I knew it. But somewhere in the back of my mind I had hope. The spoiled little rich girl had hope that at some point, everything would go back to normal.

But that's just the thing about having faith.

Hope in the shadow of fear is the world's most powerful motivator.

I was nothing if not a naïve little girl who had too much on her shoulders.

But in some messed up way, that was how the world worked.

It dealt too much pain to people who deserved to see the rainbow at least once.

*

I splashed the cold water onto my reddened cheeks, turning the faucet off and proceeding to stare at my features in the mirror in front of me. My reflection displayed a girl who looked way too tired despite sleeping her life way for almost forty eight hours. My eyes held darkened bags beneath them, proving just how shitty life was going for me at the moment. My cheeks were a light crimson colour after the sexual activity I had just involved myself in. Matte black hair clung to my damp face, slightly sticking up in different directions.