Ten

The bonfire spot is visible from the house, about a quick five minute walk to the right. Namjoon mentioned the gathering to them a week ago. Taehyung thought it sounded dreamy, who doesn't love the idea of a crackling beachside fire against a golden sunset over the waves.

"You forget who are all coming." Jungkook warned, "It's usually more chaotic than 'dreamy'."

How could a hip young 27 year old surfer channel the spirit of a grumpy elderly when it comes to socializing, Taehyung has no idea. No matter, he's determined to enjoy it. Nothing, not even the phantom beeping of the cheap disposable phone hidden in the bag in his bedroom can ruin this night for him.

After they change out of their wet swim trunks, Taehyung helps Jungkook carry all the firewood from the backyard shed to the charred bonfire spot. Jungkook is methodical about the placement of the wood, picking out the longer pieces and angling them loosely atop of each other. Taehyung lets him be, and works on making a separate stack on the side for spares.

After about an hour of going back to the shed and adding to the bonfire piles, Taehyung straightens the work gloves Jungkook made him wear, and peers at the massive pile of wood in front of him suspiciously, "It's starting to look a bit absurd, I think we have enough." As if on cue, a piece slides off the impossibly high pile precariously.

Jungkook saunters over and tosses the piece back into the pile, "Just a bit more. Jin will make us do it sooner or later. He hates to be cold."

"He can never leave the island then, I don't think he would appreciate the Midwest definition of cold."

Jungkook busies with his hands without looking up, "He won't leave. Some of them cannot survive without this land, they wither when they're away."

Taehyung gazes through the wood pile absently, into the sea, the words tugging at some buried thoughts, gnawing.

After Jungkook is finally satisfied with the firewood, Namjoon is back at the house to help bring all the dusty plastic chairs out. Jungkook fills a large blue cooler with ice and a very random assortment of beer from the fridge ("I recommend not checking the expiry dates on these."), and pulls out the acoustic guitar from his room. Namjoon digs up enough old blankets to keep a small army warm, Taehyung half pictures Jin buried under a mountain of blankets in front of the biggest bonfire the world has ever seen.

By the time Jin drives over with Jimin, the sun is already dipping low by the horizon, splattering the waves in shimmering gold and bright orange. They bring spicy plantain chips in large bowls and warm hugs. Jungkook gathers the smaller wood chips and newspaper to start the fire.

Taehyung finds a seat on a long wooden log closer to the bonfire, next to Jimin who's already curled up in a chair.

"Take this." A hand reaches to the ground and grabs one of the blankets for him, and Jimin's eyes twinkle under his bleached bangs.

"I'm ok, not cold at all."

"Take it." A teasing glare, Taehyung complies, and Jimin adds casually, "'is not for warmth. For comfort."

Taehyung folds the blanket up a bit, and drapes it around his legs. The faded retro fabric of crimson and navy geometric shapes is soft under his fingers. He inhales the rising scent of burnt wood in the air, and relaxes his shoulders, "You're not working at the bar tonight?"

"Decided to give my liver a break tonight."

Taehyung eyes the glass beer bottle in Jimin's hand skeptically. The reflection of the growing fire glints off the glass. Taehyung catches Jungkook standing on the other side and admiring the large flickering flames with a satisfying grin.