Chapter 1 | "who was that"

*note: this story has been edited into a Renjun-centered story. If you are reading from when it was Hyunjin themed, please refer to the following character alignments:

Renjun = Hyunjin, Haechan = Felix, Jeno = Chan, Jaemin = Changbin, Chenle = Seungmin, Jisung = Jeongin, Mark = Minho, Yangyang = Han.

"Alright, Miyeon, get up." She awoke to a gruff voice coming from the side of her room. "Today's the day. You have 20 minutes to get ready and meet me by the front."

"Yes sir." She watched as her trainer dipped his head and shut the door to her room.

She quickly sprang out of bed, washing up and doing some light makeup before walking over to the table where her uniform still lay, neatly folded. She picked up the black garment, the dark material stiff and thick to protect her small frame. She quickly put it on, the fabric sliding over her lean muscles and fitting snug to her body.

It was an assassin suit. All black with armored plates along her forearms, non-dominant shoulder, and along the front of her shins. She took the black rolls of thick mesh and wrapped them around her hands and up her forearms like the was taught. The corset center was uncomfortable, the thick black leather flexing with her movements as she pulled it tight to her thin waist, sliding the knives into the carefully lined pockets along the sides of her body. The suit was different than her usual training suit with the tight corset and the unnecessary half-skirt that hung along the backside of her outfit.

She scoffed as she looked at herself in the mirror.

Trying to make an assassin somewhat presentable.

The front of her legs were exposed, and she rolled her eyes at the way the extra fabric hanging off the back swished every time she moved.

Whatever. She thought to herself. At least it wont get in the way.

She then put on her half-harness, hanging across her body like a sling and running down one of her thighs, lined with more knives and finally a place to hold her sword. Feeling satisfied with her look, she quickly put her long black hair into a side braid before putting on her mask, only her eyes showing over the black fabric.

She stared at herself in the mirror. She looked good, pretty badass. Her knives were concealed enough to be presentable, but her sword was also threatening enough to stop anyone from messing with her. Far fancier than the usual, simple, training suit she was used to, but that's expected now that she would be in the palace. It still seemed like a dream to Miyeon, finally getting to work in the palace. Her 18 years of training finally put to the test as the middle prince's personal guard.

Today will be the start of the rest of my life.

- - -

"wake up loser!"

"Ugh! You're so annoying."

"Come on, dad wants us downstairs in 10 minutes!"

Renjun chuckled to himself as he watched his younger brother, Jisung, struggle to get out of bed. He quickly tossed his brother a brush and pushed him towards the bathroom.

"Your hair is a mess, go get ready. I'll meet you in the main room."

Jisung just groaned in response, still half asleep as Renjun retreated to his own room through their connected doors. He walked over to his closet, looking at the array of suits hanging before selecting a black one with silver accessories.

"Hello, little brother."

Renjun spun around at the sound of a voice coming from behind him, clutching his chest in fear as his older brother smirked at him.