Chapter 2 - Jay

A hundred times more nervous than I would have been if I didn't know Charlie plays baseball for Hillside, I walk with Shelby to the field. She suggested bringing me because otherwise I wouldn't find it. That's a little bit of bullshit as the baseball field is literally behind the school. The Hillside Hornet baseball field is nice from were I'm standing, but I get more oppressive with every step. From here I can see guys practicing, hitting the ball or missing completely.

"Are you sure you don't want to play softball?" Shelby looks at me. I am glad that she is coming along, we have 3 classes together and she suggested that I could sit with her group for lunch. It is the first time anyone has done that in ages. She doesn't seem to care much about the gossip about my mother.

When she nudges me I open my mouth. "Uhm yes, the level is too low to give me a scholarship and I have always played with boys."

"Okay then," she nods. "I can't stay, I have to take my little brother to soccer practice."

I try not to show that I'm disappointed when I talk to her. "Then I'll see you tomorrow." I had hoped she would stay for when something bad happens.

"Sure, I'll wait for you at the entrance tomorrow." She winks and turns around. "Good luck." I smile faintly and keep walking. Come on, you can do this! Some guys are already looking at me, I'm almost there.

And then I see her. Charlie, she's wearing a cap with her brown tail sticking out of the back, her white pants already have some brown smudges and there's a smile on her face. And then I see how she hits, hard, a perfect home run, unfortunately this is not a game. My eyes slide to the guys she's talking to now. They are having fun with each other. 

My foot keeps gets stuck behind a tile and I can just jump to avoid falling. With rosy cheeks, I walk to the dugout to put my things in and ignore a few laughing boys.

I have to talk to the coach first. Coach Lewis, coach of the Hillside Hornets. When he sees me he snorts. I already know what he thinks. He doesn't think I'm good enough, I'm not very tall, don't look that strong and seem shy. I don't like that either, but I always know how to hit a button when I play baseball. But he is wrong about me for not being strong, I already know that I hit 3 times harder than most guys here and I am fast, very fast.

In addition, I am a pitcher, I throw with both hands, which is special and I have 4 throws. A fastball, a curveball, a screwball and a knuckleball. But for the knuckleball I have to put in some more effort. It is not for nothing that it is the most difficult throw. I threw one perfect knuckleball, nine times out of ten it's out of reach.

All my life I have practiced with pitches. Not surprising that I can throw 3 difficult balls now at 16 years old. A fastball can throw almost any rookie.

Someone clears his throat behind me, I stop putting on my things and turn around. "What's the meaning of this?" Coach Lewis looks at me, arms crossed.

"I'm here for the tryouts, sir." I look at him seriously.

"Mmm, is that so?" I have a feeling that he won't even let me try. "Actually, the try-outs are already over." None, he mean. 

I nod, just keep going. "I'm a pitcher and a good hitter sir." He laughs at this. "I'm serious."

He stops laughing and looks at me. "Well, I suggest I let you try, can you say with 100 percent certainty that one of my boys cannot hit 3 of your throws and that you hit once in 3 tries?" Who does he think I am? A baby?

"200 percent sir."

He chuckles. "Okay, gear up." He walks back to the second trainer, who is looking at me. He frowns. Just wait.