Chapter 47 Meeting the Earl

With the Nero debacle out of the way, Kotori began to spend much of her time thinking about the nature of his statement.

For one, Nero being able to speak already baffled her. She had yet to encounter a dungeon monster that could speak.

Second, the sheer amount of Mana Nero had was unusual. It was enough to make Kotori's head spin at the amount of Mana that was in the boss room and those pillars.

It was a shame she couldn't convert that mana into more stats for herself.

Not like she could in the first place, The amount of mana was so large that she would've had trouble controlling it. It would be like trying to drink from a fire hydrant instead of a faucet.

This was a puzzling development for Kotori who had never been in a situation where her growth was stunted as a result of her own body.

Unlike the spirits who were simply just masses of mana, Kotori was limited by her own physical body. It seemed that it had started growing abnormally fast in response, but that was still not enough.

She envied Shu and Umi who could grow as much as they wanted and not be limited by a physical form.

Since killing Nero, Kotori felt her growth slow to a snail's pace. Besides the amount of stats that she gained, it seemed even larger monsters in the dungeons surrounding the city were not enough to satiate her.

Kotori's interest in eating monsters had slightly waned after eating Nero's verifiable feast of mana. It didn't taste very good. Shu and Umi happily ate their portions but after finishing her portion all Kotori could feel was regret.

She resolved herself to be more careful.

Proper nutrition is very important, no?

She's a growing girl of course she needs to eat properly.

So Kotori started practicing using her [Hunter] skill.

Ever since her encounter with Nero She'd been practicing using her [Hunter] skill. The conditions were the same as always but her control over it had gotten better. While [Hunter] could be used to eat defeated dungeon monsters with relatively good efficiency, she had gotten better at eating dungeons.

It was now around even with farming smaller monsters in terms of efficiency but couldn't match simply killing monsters.

Recently Kotori had actually been called to meet Earl Parth. She had gotten good reviews from other adventurers and he wanted to personally know about the girl who had decided to become an adventurer at such a tender young age.

So Kotori with Amelie, Shu, and Umi in tow dragged themselves to the high-class residential district where the Earl lived.

As she reached the district she was surprised by the architecture. If she would describe the rest of the city with one word she would use the word "dirty" in this sort of world there wasn't much money put towards "city beautification". This is why when she entered the gated community that was the nobles district she was astounded at how clean it was. The streets were well maintained and the roads were lined with cut stone. The buildings didn't sag and even had slight architectural oddities that made them almost artistic. Her only experience in the past had been with the old count in her village and she now realized that he lived a very modest living style compared to these people. She could only imagine what it would be like in the capital of Faramouth.

They reached the Parth estate which was the largest building in the district and were surprised to see that he even had a well-manicured garden. There were no gardeners but seeing a beautiful garden was quite a disconnect from the ramshackle frontier city. They were allowed entrance into the estate after showing the guard at the gate their adventurer card which showed their identity.

As they walked through the manicured Kotori was reminded of the politician houses she would visit in her past life. If the Earl was anything like them she would probably be asked to do a favor for them. Something like

"Oh you're so talented please help this country by inventing more"

Or

"You must associated with us we will happily fund your endeavors"

It was quite annoying and part of the reason why Kotori secluded herself so much in her past life.

They entered the manor. There was an intricate rug and they were met with a miserly butler who introduced himself as Zee and led them to the waiting parlor.

The parlor had assorted furniture including a couch and a couple of monster leather seats. All of it looked very expensive.

Kotori sat down on the couch while Amelie sat on one of the chairs. The butler gave a look of disdain as he saw Shu and Umi trailing water and dirt into the manor but held his tongue.

Kotori internally smirked

[At least these pets are good for something]

Soon a maid came by and served Tea and drinks. Kotori watched her in puzzlement.

A pair of cat ears adorned her brown head.

"Cosplay?" Kotori said accidentally

She then saw them twitch in response to the sound

[They're real!]

"Cos... play?"

The girl asked.

Kotori stifled a "kyaa" as she saw the ears twitch again

[I want to pet those ears!] She thought.

"Umm excuse me, Kotori asked

"Can I touch your ears"

"Eep!" the girl said, nearly dropping her teapot in surprise.

"Please don't make such jokes," she said very primly "You must be young so you might not know, but it's very disrespectful to ask such questions to a beast person"

"Our ears and tails are the most precious part of our bodies because they are what define us. Letting someone touch them is something we only let those we are married touch. Touching them without permission is akin to rape"

[Tch!] Kotori thought, her dreams of Fuwa Fuwa time instantly dashed.

[Still, beast people exist] She began to think of all the variations that might exist. Kotori was a person that greatly enjoyed fantasy anime and although her hopes of finding a cute demure elf were put on hold after she saw the wood elf village she now realized that beast people existed.

A lecherous grin slowly crept up her face

"Please stop making that face-honored guest. It marres your pretty face" The beast girl maid said.

"Ahem!" Kotori said instantly reverting face to normal.

[author]hello new readers! I update daily unless something comes up[/author]