Chapter 43 - Pardons

"Welcome home, Your Highness. Prince Loki. Lady Y/n."

Heimdall's deep, rich voice calls out to you as you find your feet firmly fixed on the golden platform connected to the rainbow bridge. 

"Heimdall," you whisper quietly, turning to look into the golden eyes that you had for so long tried to avoid. "It's nice to see you."

He gives you a knowing look, and places his arm across his chest, bowing slightly. You're taken aback by the formality, but in it you sense his unspoken regret. You offer as much of a smile as you can in return, but it isn't much as you can still hear the cries of your son in your mind.

"Heimdall," says Thor. "Have you alerted my father of my return."

"I have, my Prince. He awaits you in the throne room."

"The throne room?" says Loki, an air of intrigue in his voice. "Not the council room?"

"You are not on trial, Loki," says Thor. "We discussed this."

"And yet the Raven has us bound in chains."

"A precaution, should his mind still be shrouded in the fog of delusion."

"You mean he still doesn't know?" you blurt out.

"Restoring the mind takes time," answers Heimdall. "It is a delicate process, as I am sure you can appreciate, Lady Y/n. Her Majesty has for many weeks now been diligent in keeping the Allfather shielded from further harm while slowly toiling to restore his sovereign capacity. But until the paranoia in which his mind has been saturated has been lifted, it is not safe to tell him."

Loki scoffs and you find yourself growing irritated.

"Can we just get going?" you ask impatiently.

Loki smirks subtly at your displeasure as Heimdall gestures towards the bifrost. You gasp as you see Frigga standing near two saddled stallions.

"Frigga," you breathe out, relieved to see her. You run down the steps and into her embrace as she holds her arms out to you. 

"My dear," she says quietly, wrapping her arms around you as you lean into her, your bound hands preventing you from embracing her fully.

"Come," she says. "We must go. The Kings are due to arrive tomorrow morn. Odin finds it...fortuitous that Thor has managed to bring you both back to Asgard in time to hold an audience prior to their arrival. We mustn't keep him waiting."

Frigga mounts one of the steeds in a single, graceful maneuver. Thor does the same, holding a hand out to you.

"Absolutely not," says Loki, using his two bound hands to push himself up on the steed, sitting firmly on the horse's haunches behind his brother.  "She rides with mother," he says with vitriol.