10: Sarafina

Sincere Jackson

Me and Slim pulled up to the mental institution my mom stayed at. We walked through the automatic doors, heading straight for the reception desk.
"Hi, are you here to see a patient"
the receptionist asked us.
"Yea" Slim answered, I just nodded, I was nervous on how this gone go down.
"Could you please state your name, the patient you're here to see and the relationship you have tied to them please?" she asked, looking down at her key board.

"Santana Jackson. We're here to see my aunt, his mom, Sarafina Jackson" Slim spoke for me. She looked to me, "Your name as well sir?"
I cleared my throat, "Sincere Jackson"
"You're next of kin, am I correct?" She asked. I just nodded. "Alright, give me a second to put it in the system" she announced.
We waited patiently.
"Everything you've stated is now documented. I'm required to have the both of you virtually sign your signature onto this device before giving you these passes that'll detect your movement throughout this facility. You must wear them around your neck at all times, if security or a staff member were to see you without them on they'll assume your a patient. So I suggest wearing them at all times. Miss Jackson is currently in the expressive room which is just to my right. You can go ahead and walk through those double doors. She will be sat at table four with her mentor nearby. If she were to fail to communicate or operate accordingly, look for assistance from her mentor Lisa" she handed me & slim the pad to sign and our passes. Once we both signed, we did as told and walked through the double doors.

Slim put his hand on my shoulder as we entered. There she was.
"You good?" Slim whispered to me as we approached her table. I gave him a head nod, "I'm straight"

We arrived at her table. She watched us cautiously when we pulled our chairs out to take a seat. She drew a blow of her cigarette before speaking.

Sarafina Adira Jackson

"And you are?" She said, blowing the smoke in our face. I furrowed my eyebrows, since when does she smoke.

When she spoke she didn't even look directly at us, her eyes glared through the gap between me and Slim. I looked at Slim and he gave me a look that was telling me to talk to her.
"Where that lil girl that be coming up here.
Who the fuck are yall newbies?"
First time hearing her curse.
She didn't condone that from me and Slim when we was growing up. We both remained silent, Slim waiting for me to make my move. He prolly thinking I ain't have the guts, in reality I was taking my time to process everything bout her.
From top to bottom I've noted about three things that's physically changed.
1.
Her hair, if she were sane she would've never cut it.
2.
The cigarettes in her hand, she nearly beat my ass to death when I was five for pretending my juice box straw was one.
3.
Her language, she was born Muslim and raised Muslim, her past self would've had a heart attack if she were to see herself now and how she spoke.

I guess she grew frustrated from the lack of response; so she forced her cigarette down onto the table before getting up, turning to leave.
"Ma" I called out. She paused. She turned slowly, tears formed in her eyes.
"Don't you call me THAT!" She yelled, pointing at me. Lana said this'll happen
"The only person that can call me that is my son. Don't you ever say that!" She said through gritted teeth as she leaned over the table, with her hands clawed on the table. I looked her in her eyes.
There was no life in them.
She really believes I'm dead
"I am your son ma" I looked straight in her eyes and said that shit. Her eyebrows caved in and her tears fell down. She yelled out a high pitched scream, clawing and scratching at her face. I tried to reach for her but she fell back from my touch to the floor before crawling to a corner facing her back towards us. Her mentor consulted her as I sat there and watched. I could see Slim was concerned, looking back and forth between me and her to see if either of us were straight.

I expected this. Lana ain't kept me in the dark. She told me about the discussions she had with my ma. In my mom's reality, I died as when I was sixteen. She claims I was shot in the chest, was killed on my way from school. She thinks that's why she went away, it was her decision to get away from the memories we shared when I was 'alive'. Alana told me she wouldn't recognise me, the son she knew didn't look like me.

I got up, Slim knew not to stop me. I made it to the corner she sheltered herself in and kneeled to her level. Her mentor backed away giving us space.
Her knees where held in her arms with her face in them. She shut her eyes tight, rocking back and forth whilst repeating the words 'my baby boy'.

I unravelled her arms. She didn't resist, assuming she thought I was her mentor for her eyes were still closed. I pulled her into me and held her tight.
She sobbed in my chest as I squeezed onto her for dear life. I bowed my head feeling a tear slide down my face. She don't remember me man
I ain't feel her in years. She used to give me these hugs. She was my saviour, I did everything for her. Why God do this to my mama man. The most angelic human he ever created he turned her into somebody ion even know. I don't fucking understand it. How's this part of his plan, she hurting and I gotta deal with this shit. No her, me! She'n know better cause he decided to fuck her her up.

"Sin...it's time to go" I heard Slim's voice but yet I couldn't see him. It was dark, all I felt was my mama. I held onto to her tighter, bowing my head further into her shoulder.
I shook my head, I'm not letting her go.
She need me. I need her
"Ku we gotta go" I felt Slim and another pair of hands pull me away from her, our departure brought me back into the light. My heart was tearing apart, I needed her embrace. Slim's face came into my vision but it was blurry. All I could see was my mom disappearing behind some doors.
"Bring her back" I whispered. I looked at Slim. "Bring her back!!!" I yelled, backing away from him. I ain't know what came over me but I started lashing out. I picked up a table throwing it across the room. "What yall do to my mama. Why she ain't remember me!!" I yelled, I started swinging at any thing that came my way. I was tackled to the ground and I could hear voices calling for back up.
"Naw he gone be aight, let me talk to him. Trust me, ain't no need for that" I heard Slim say to someone. I was paralysed staring up at the white ceiling.
Why her man. My whole world and you took her away from, whats the reason man. Tell me!!
I was talking to God.
She was my life. All I needed was her, why you take her from me.
"Sin ima need you to chill man. Cool down a bit, they out here thinking you a patient. Get up foe, we can talk bout it but we gotta get out of here" Slim's voice slowly brought me outta my reflection. I ain't even realise all the guards surrounding me.
I sat up and dried my face with hands before standing to my feet.
Eye level with Slim, my face emotionless.
"Let's jet" I said before taking the lead and leaving. I ripped the pass from my neck, throwing it the floor, exiting out the double doors we came through.
I ain't coming back
"See you next time Sir-
I shot her a glare, shutting her up as I exited out the automatic door. I heard Slim behind me apologise on my behalf. I unlocked my car door and slid in, waiting for Slim to join. "You straight to drive?"
"Yea, I'm coo" I said pulling out.
"You wanna talk bout what you going thru foe?"
I shook my head, "Naw, ima be aight" Slim knew I wasn't but knew better than to ask again.
"I was planning to visit Lana's mom today. You coming?" Slim was shocked by how quick I recovered.
Ion even know why, he should know by now I don't do that weak shit. It ain't gone get me nowhere. I gotta man up. Push forward.
"Yea...you sure you straight ku?" He asked, again.
I ignored him and swerved the car, he took that as confirmation not to ask me that shit again.

We pulled up to Lana's mom's house.
We walked up her porch and I rang the bell.
She opened the door a few seconds later.
The expressions on her face and the welcoming she gave made feel good.
She gave me what I expected from my own mom.
"What's good Ms Harris" I said hugging her back.
"Oh Sincere, boy why you take so long to come see me, you too Santana, you better bring your ass over here. You think you grown you can't give me some love no more?" She said, reaching for Slim too. She welcomed us in closing the door.

___

& there it is, Sincere met his mum.
What's you guys reaction to this side of Sincere and the relationship with his mother?
Could this explain why he is the way he is?
Let me know your thoughts.
Like, share & comment.

Until next chapter....excuse any mistakes!