▼ Claustrophobia ▼

Claustrophobia is an anxiety disorder that causes an intense fear of enclosed spaces. If you get very nervous or upset when you're in a tight place, like an elevator or crowded room, you might have claustrophobia.

Claustrophobia is different for everyone. The anxiety can range from mild nervousness to a full-blown panic attack. For doctors to diagnose the anxiety as a phobia, it has to be serious enough to affect your ability to live a normal life.

Having another anxiety disorder raises your chances of having claustrophobia

》Being inside an enclosed space can trigger symptoms such as:

Shortness of breath

Fast heartbeat

Sweating

Shaking or trembling

Nausea

Dizziness

Dry mouth

Hot flashes

Hyperventilation

Chest tightness or pain

Confusion or disorientation

Headache

Numbness

Choking sensation

Urge to use the bathroom

Fear of harm or illness

Claustrophobia is what is classified as a "specific phobia." That's a fear of certain objects, people, or activities. If you have one, your amygdala, the brain regions that are involved in the fear response, are overactive.

》Your genes may play a role in claustrophobia. Researchers have found a defect in a gene called GPM6A that they suspect may cause it. If one of your parents has claustrophobia, you're more likely to have it, too.

》Sometimes, the fear of enclosed spaces starts after you've had a traumatic childhood event, like:

Bullying

Abuse

Being stuck in a tight place like an elevator

Common Triggers:

Elevators

Crowded Spaces

Small rooms

Airplanes or subway trains

Tunnels

Revolving doors

Car washes

Bathroom stalls or changing rooms

Cars with automatic door locks

The first step in getting treatment is to see a psychologist or other mental health specialist.

Claustrophobia Treatments:

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This is a type of talk therapy where you meet one-on-one with a trained therapist. You talk about the negative thoughts that drive your fear and learn ways to overcome them. You may get CBT alone or combined with exposure therapy.

Exposure therapy. It gradually puts you into the situations that frighten you to help you get over your fear. At first, you might just look at a photo of a tight space. Then, with your therapist's help, you work up to being inside a tight space.

Relaxation and visualization. You can learn ways to calm your fear when you're in a situation that usually scares you.

Medical treatment. If therapy isn't enough, your doctor can prescribe anxiety drugs or antidepressants to help you deal with the situations that cause your fear.

Claustrophobia can be treated and cured. There are different ways to treat your fear and symptoms so you can have an active and healthy life.