10

Driving Jungkook back to the diner, your elbows touch as you both rest them on the console box.

"You know, you can always talk to me instead of drinking." you suggest.
Jungkook looks to you as you steer, "I don't know, I don't think I'm supposed to bombard my employees with the problems of my personal life—.", "Do you seriously only see me as an employee?" you ask, looking at him as you stop at a red light.

After a couple of seconds of thought, "Well, no. I'm not talking to the other workers as much as I talk to you." Jungkook says. "Good." you smile, turning your focus back to the road. "That being said, you can always come to me with your issues, Jungkook." you smugly grin, taking advantage of your new privilege to call Jungkook by his first name.

You walk into the diner together with a beaming smile on both of your faces. Just as you're about to get back to work, Jungkook stops you. "..Make me a coffee?" he asks. You nod with a grin; you've been waiting for him to ask you that for so long.
You walk your separate ways, Jungkook going off to greet and introduce himself to the customers with his charm, and you going to make his coffee.

As you stand at the coffee machine, you feel a gentle hand on your shoulder. You look back to find Namjoon smiling lightly at you. "Thank you, y/n." he says.
"No problem."
"I'm hoping Jungkook wasn't too much of a bother getting out of the house?"
You shake your head, "He was great." you say. Namjoon nods once, turning back around to continue keeping everything under control. 

You speed-walk over to the kitchen and lean on the counter, waiting for someone to hand you an order. You watch as Jungkook, Taehyung, Jimin and Yoongi rush their cooking, wiping their foreheads and fanning themselves when they can. Steam fuming from pots, humidity filling the room, you silently appreciate the sweaty men's hard work.

"It's 11:50 PM, only ten more minutes until the sale ends, guys." you reassure them. They nod, thankful this hell of a busy day will soon start to calm down.

By two AM, all of the tables are clean and the amount of coffee and meal orders have declined to their regular pace, a mass that you're all capable of handling smoothly.
When you and Jungkook notice that you're both not as needed in the main area and kitchen, you go in into a back room past the coat-hooks.

"Shit, that was overwhelming." Jungkook chuckles as he lifts his apron over his head. "And you weren't even here the whole day." you say, raising your eyebrows and pressing your lips together in bitter disappointment.
"It won't. Happen. Again." Jungkook says, pushing himself back to sit on a table. You pull out a chair and sit down on it, facing him.

Leaning forward in your chair, you rest your elbow on your knee and prop your chin on your fist before narrowing your eyes into a grilling stare.
Jungkook laughs at your odd expression, "What? Why are you looking at me like that?"
"You missed me when I was gone during my three days off." you state, maintaining your cold stone expression.
"I missed you?" Jungkook mimics your appearance as he turns your statement into a question.

"Yes!" you break your cold shield, rolling your eyes. "I mean it couldn't have been more obvious. I come back from my break to find you making out with a girl! In fact, I think it was in this exact room!" you laugh, partially to mock him but also in disbelief.

Jungkook groans, "You saw that? That was the worst kiss of my life. I was super drunk. I promise I can do much better." he says.
Resisting the urge to reply with 'prove it.', you let Jungkook continue his thought. "I told you, I was.. or, I am getting over a girl." he says. You cross your arms with a smirk, "So why bring these women to the diner for me to see?" you ask.

Jungkook takes a deep breath, "Okay. Maybe I wanted to make you a little jealous—."
"I knew it!!" you interrupt him, claiming your victory.
"But only because that's the type of friendship we have! We poke fun at each other like that, y'know, head chef to employee." Jungkook says, trying to excuse his behaviour.

Fuck.

Friendship.

"Right, yeah. That's our friendship!" you force a chuckle. "Well it was funny. Well played." you say.
Jungkook nods once, "Thank you, I appreciate it.".

"Well I'm gonna go." you stand up from your chair. Jungkook's lips turn into a pout, "Already? We just sat down."
"I think I heard Namjoon call me. Bye." you say, hoping Jungkook notices that you used the same lame excuse as he did before to escape the conversation he was having with you. You walk out of the room.

As bitter as it is, that 'friendship' moment thoroughly messed with your head. You never noticed how attached you've grown to Jungkook.
Though you knew before that you aren't allowed to date because of your roles in the diner, Jungkook liking someone else put the nail in the coffin. Your mind always told you that the head chef-to-employee rule was always something you could easily break, but now Jungkook genuinely has feelings for someone else, or so you believe.

At the end of your shift, you walk out of the diner without saying goodbye to anyone. You take your phone out and dial a number, "Han, I need help making someone jealous. If I tell you everything can you give me advice?" you say, getting into your car.

Jungkook leans against a counter as he watches as you leave the diner, arms crossed. "Fuck. I messed up, didn't I?" he mumbles to himself.
"What's that?" Hoseok asks, looking back at him as he cooks.
"Nothing."

authors note:
pssstt, if you're enjoying the story, don't forget to vote;) thank you for reading! it motivates me to continue writing <3