Chapter 5 - Jay

The rest of the evening went smoother. After Walker and Tyler left, the tense atmosphere was gone. There was a lot of laughter and everyone was messing with each other. I even saw Charlie smile again. Who hadn't laughed after the fight with Tyler and I know she's worried, I can see that in her eyes.

I have now promised myself to stay away from her, I can't trust myself when I am close to her and I am not at all ready for the things I feel.

And now, now the boys are playing beer pong and I just watch, I don't know what was up, I just didn't felt like playing. Charlie teamed up with Keith and Jake. Andrew, like me, has chosen not to participate and is standing next to me.

"This can never end well." I grin.

"Who do you think will win?" I look questioningly at Andrew.

"Charlie and the boys, they have Jake, he's a pitcher for a reason."

I look at him. "We both know Jake isn't really good as a pitcher."

Andrew puts his finger to his lips with a smile. "And yet, he can throw just fine."

I wait a moment to answer and watch. "Yeah okay, he doesn't miss completely," I answer when the ball hits the rim of a cup. Andrew smiles again.

"He's awful." I also laugh again. "Would you like something to drink? I'm taking a piss so I walk past the kitchen."

"Sure, a glass of water."

He looks at me for a moment. "Serious?"

"I don't drink."

Andrew shrugs. "You know it's your liver, I'm not going to make you do anything." I smile weakly at him. Relieved that he said that, but I expected it from him. Andrew is different from the other guys here, who like to get into your pants ASAP, I can see the looks, but Andrew... he's old school, yes that suits him. Now I picture him holding the door open for a girl, getting her home on time and giving her a kiss on the cheek. But I could easily get this wrong, I've never been good at estimate people.

"Jay, you have to come and save us from Jake," Keith shouts, laughing.

"Oi, Hello, I'm not that bad." Now he gets a punch from Charlie.

"You haven't hit anything yet," Keith exclaims, making some guys laugh.

Jake holds up his finger. "I blame the beers."

"Excuses Wright, excuses."

Jake laughs and walks over to me and puts his arm around me. "What are you saying, are you taking my place?"

I turn my gaze to the clock for a moment. "I have to go home in a few minuts." My father will kill me if I'm late.

"Come on, one game," Nolan and Keith insist. Without really wanting it to happen, my eyes move to Charlie, her eyes find mine within seconds.

"I don't know, guys."

"Ahh, come on." Connor puts his arm around me. "Or are you afraid you'll lose." I flinch a bit when I feel his hand sliding over my back.

"We'll bring you home, your parents can never get mad at this face." Keith smiles and winks at me. Charlie looks away from her brother's flirt attempt. I am not convinced yet. Keith puts his beer bottle into Charlie's hands and walks over to take my hands. "I'll pick you up tomorrow too." He smiles at me again and slowly pulls me towards the others.

"Come on Miller, you can't say no, see the look of that boy." I hear some guys laughing behind me.

"I've never seen him so desperate," Jake grins, immediately get slapped in the nuts. "I was just kidding," he gasps.

"Pretty please?" Keith gives me a questioned look. Ugh, I can't take these guys.

A smile appears on my face, one I can't stop. "Okay then, 1 game."

Keith punches the air. "Yes."

"Let them eat shit, Jay." I laugh at Jake.

"Who even says that?"

Now he's smiling too. "Apparently I do."

With a grin, I pick up Keith's ball and get ready to throw it. I swallow when I realize who stands behind me. Her perfume is pouring into my nose and despite playing it cool I know she's angry, maybe disappointed. But why? Did I do something wrong?

"Miller, throw!" I shake my head and toss, the ball goes straight into the cup, Nolan high fives me with a grin.

"Look and that's why you're on our team," laughs Keith, putting his arm around my neck. I don't know why, I've only known these people for a few weeks, but for the first time I feel like I belong somewhere.

-----

A short chapter, but you will see why...