Chapter 35 ~ Habitats

Back to school has brought about manic panic-induced studying

Back to school has brought about manic panic-induced studying. I've got a few more months of focus and working my fingers to the bone before I can get out of this town. Mrs Stentham, the guidance counsellor, has already helped me fill out a few scholarship forms to a few colleges... I've taken the bull by the horns and applied to a few dance programs around the country. I've sent applications to schools in Oklahoma, Pitsburg, Indianapolis and Houston. Of course, they're not where I want to go just back up options...if I don't get into Julliard. A school for which I very nearly missed the application deadline. I was so pent up on prolonging sending it off I nearly missed the frigging deadline but before the holidays it was in fact sent off... and now we wait as time trickles by excruciatingly. I've double-checked about fifteen times just to be sure I had actually sent it off and I wasn't dreaming.

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get into Julliard. It's not just the program, it's being close to my momma and where she grew up. It's experiencing New York- the place I've dreamed about since I was a child and it isn't just my dream to go to Julliard, it was hers too. The least I can do is live that out for her.

Whilst I wait to see if they even want to audition me, all I can do is knuckle down... starting with this danm happiness project. We're still finding it kind of hard but Blaze has been getting on much better, he's more active with it and is finding it easier to talk about but we still haven't got much. I think it's a bit of a mental barrier for us both... only just being able to revel in some kind of happiness and Blaze giving half-assed answers.

"So I was thinking we could start the PowerPoint with the definition and maybe talk about the 'happiness chemical' element of-" I zone out to what he's saying, mesmerised by his dishevelled damp hair and piercing eyes. It should actually be illegal to look this good in a school library. He's even taken his letterman jacket off so I can have a front-row seat to his goddam arms that tense every time he moves. His chiselled face makes my stomach flip-flop over and over and-

"Blondie?" Shit is he still talking?

"Hmm?" I make a noise whilst shuffling some papers to cool my face.

"Are you even listening?" He wears a smug grin and turns to completely face me.

"Yeah... uh... chemical element..." Well, I was listening up to that point then I got distracted over how good you look today. He lets out a low chuckle.

"You know Blondie if you-"

"Sorry kids library's closing." The frail old librarian taps Blaze on the shoulder mid-sentence and points to the already slow wall clock. Blaze nods at her and she scurries off, her floral skirt flapping around her ankles, leaving Blaze with a guilty look on his face. Practice ran over so we've only had about twenty minutes to do the project, we've barely even started and we need to get a frigging move on if we actually want a decent grade on this.

"Fuck... I would say you could come back to mine but Gemmas got her friends around so they'll all be in the kitchen and I can't have you in my room...moms rules not mine." He winks making me divert my gaze to the table. We always end up around his and I feel bad because he also always feeds me- and boy, he can cook.